Finished Mourning Old Accomplice - Recommending a Gyuto to a Hobby Cook

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, new guy here! I'm a Norwegian student and hobby cook. A few months ago i quite stupidly decided to test my primary knife's back against a pork bone *cringe*. I was unenthusiastically introduced to the inner anatomy of my favorite molybdenum-vanadium knife. Cheap though it may have been, it had lasted several years with no major defects and a sharp edge that had never felt the scraping of a sharpening steel.
Face to face with my ignorance on the importance of the materials from which my equipment was made, i went to the largest hardware store in the area i recently moved into but found clerks with no information beyond what was labeled on the knives and a poor feeling in my hand from every one of them.

So i looked for what i usually find to be the best source of information in any given field, the enthusiasts. Aaand now i'm here.

COUNTRY
Norway.

KNIFE TYPE

I'm right handed, looking for a Chef's knife for general use, a trustworthy companion so to speak. The knife should be a Gyuto and thus with a Japanese handle as I've come to enjoy the flexibility of my (albeit cheap) Nakiri (I'll eventually replace it as well as it has suffered profusely from me originally mistaking it for a suspiciously light cleaver).
I'm slightly unsure about the length, but i suppose it should be up to a chef's knife's standard. I definitely want it stainless and have a budget of lets say 300$.

KNIFE USE

I'm using it at home, primarily for slicing and trimming various meats and probably for cutting vegetables as well if washing the Nakiri is too much of a hassle as well. I suppose i use what you call the Finger Point and Pinch Grip and the cutting motions are 1.Push-Cut 2.Rock and 3.Slicing.

In terms of aesthetics i would like anything above a plain blade, no cheap plastic/synthetics and A wooden handle would be the best. I'm not too sure about the finish. I can trawl through a thousand items to find the one i like though.

It shouldn't be too light, shouldn't easily slip at the handle and it would be nice if it was good for push-cut and rocking. Would be great if food didn't always stick to it and that its possible to sharpen both sides. One last big thing is that i don't bash my knuckles into the board when i use it as i have relatively big hands. Some edge retention would be appreciated but i can sharpen it whenever. Maximum sturdiness for the money is a given i guess.

I generally use synthetic cutting boards. I sharpen my own knives with an old sharpening iron (is that okay?) but would definitely like to learn more about sharpening. Get a great feeling whenever i feel a newly sharpened edge. Yes, I'm interested in buying sharpening products after I've learned more about it.

PS: As I'm not too well versed in the nuances of fine cutlery, feel free to criticize, point out improvements or ask for more info.

Sounds to me like you have done some research already. First would you consider a semi stainless? These are almost as easy to care for as a true stainless steel. If so you might want to look at Konosuke HD2 (240mm), price $270 w/o saya and $300 with. Keep in mind this is a "laser" (very thin) and has some flex to it. My first choice would be Gesshin Heiji Semi-Stainless (210 or 240mm) but these are above your budget, $450-$500.

Welcome Norway

300 is a good budget,you can get a good quality Japanese Gyuto 200-250 range & have some left over for a medium whetstone and yes follow those instincts to learn more about sharpening.

Sounds to me like you have done some research already. First would you consider a semi stainless? These are almost as easy to care for as a true stainless steel. If so you might want to look at Konosuke HD2 (240mm), price $270 w/o saya and $300 with. Keep in mind this is a "laser" (very thin) and has some flex to it. My first choice would be Gesshin Heiji Semi-Stainless (210 or 240mm) but these are above your budget, $450-$500.

Thank you, though all i did was read and follow the stickies. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with something sturdy and inflexible when it comes to the main knife and after reading on the carbon steel and patina, do you feel there is much difference between stainless and semi-stainless?

Welcome!
Best of luck on the knife hunting!

I don't think there's much of a difference between stainless and semi-stainless. I think semi-stainless steels are generally pretty easy to sharpen. What about the Gesshin Uraku

Thank you, though all i did was read and follow the stickies. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with something sturdy and inflexible when it comes to the main knife and after reading on the carbon steel and patina, do you feel there is much difference between stainless and semi-stainless?

I agree with Steven. I don't see much of a difference between the two. I also agree with you about looking for something more sturdy as a main knife if your not comfortable with flex. This is why I pointed out it was a laser in the first place.

If you should be anywhere near Oslo, feel free to come over to my place for a test-run of my knives.
I have an extra Gyoto or two that you'd be welcome to test out for a few days.
My selection of knives aren't the biggest out there, but could perhaps point you in the right direction.
:)
I do quite a lot of honing as well, so I'd be happy to show you what little I know in that area as well

If you should be anywhere near Oslo, feel free to come over to my place for a test-run of my knives.
I have an extra Gyoto or two that you'd be welcome to test out for a few days.
My selection of knives aren't the biggest out there, but could perhaps point you in the right direction.
:)
I do quite a lot of honing as well, so I'd be happy to show you what little I know in that area as well

I would have loved to do so if i werent leagues away in Møre og Romsdal :/.

I don't think there's much of a difference between stainless and semi-stainless. I think semi-stainless steels are generally pretty easy to sharpen. What about the Gesshin Uraku

I definitely like the shop, if contact between customer and owner is as close as i suspect i might get it sent as a gift (customs prices here are insane). StevenStefano, why the Gesshin Uraku among all the other ones there though?

I definitely like the shop, if contact between customer and owner is as close as i suspect i might get it sent as a gift (customs prices here are insane). StevenStefano, why the Gesshin Uraku among all the other ones there though?

Well it's also pretty cheap and it seems to fit your criteria pretty well. There's quite a lot of choices though as others have said

I would check out the Hattori FH 210-240mm gyuto from japanesechefsknife.com

Back