Quantcast
any food magazines on your regular read list? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: any food magazines on your regular read list?

Plate, food arts, and saveur

love plate magazine
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Lucky Peach fo sho.
    I have had subscriptions to Bon Apetit, Saveur, and Food & Wine. I haven't renewed any of them and am on my last issue of all 3. I find the majority of each mag's content to be nothing but advertisements. The only people that I have personally known to grace the inside of any magazine were fortunate enough to have pricey PR people. I'm not going to miss the Bobby Flay Fage yogurt ads at all.
    I remember when Saveur was a much better magazine. It's so lame now, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's James Oseland.........
    .....more flash than function. It doesn't have heart anymore.
    I haven't seen a FoodArts for a long time until recently and was disappointed that after all this time it is (still) filled with at least 3/4 ads instead of content. I guess that's why it's free.

I used to really enjoy Cook's Illustrated a long time ago. But after so many years in this industry, I think I outgrew it a long time ago. They have great standard recipes and such, but nothing innovative. Christopher Kimball annoys the crap out of me anyway...............
    .....somewhere a barbershop quartet is missing a member.

I live in the South and there is a pretty decent mag coming out of Charleston, SC called The Local Palate. It does a great job of featuring different regions of the Southeast. Great production value, excellent photos and good food. It's nice to see something like this in my area.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Lucky peach.Gourmet Traveller (AU) .Cuisine (NZ). Online - Chow Hound .FineDiningLovers. Restaurant and Caterer(UK).

I have gone paperless and don't subscribe to any of them, but might reconsider after reading through this thread. Oh, and I just saw on my bank statement that I have an online subscription to the Cook's Illustrated site, I didn't even remember...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by wellminded1 View Post
    I have seen some ridiculous asking prices for LP #1, I had 2 copies at one point I will try to find my spare for you , if you want.
    That would be awesome! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I remember when Saveur was a much better magazine. It's so lame now, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's James Oseland......
    THIS.

Btw, I remember when I was in Europe and used to buy the American versions of a couple magazines. They were expensive just as it is more expensive to buy Euro versions in the US. Vanity Fair is one that I remember, and I was always impressed by how thin it was and how few adds were in it. It was nice. Then when I returned to the US and picked up the same version here, it was PACKED with adds that made it so thick that I stopped buying it. I would easily pay a premium to subscribe to no-ad versions if they ever did that.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I should also give some love to Cook's Illustrated. I had a subscription, but didn't renew it two years ago, because it seemed a bit too dated. Come to think of it, Saveur took its spot.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

cooks illustrated is okay.

the best thing to happen to that company is Yvonne Ruperti. i think she is so cute, and hot.

i like my CI subscription go as well. the mag is very repetitious.

When I am in mood for reading something fun: Lucky Peach
    Casual reading (after I rip the pages with all ad's off ) : Gourmet traveller

+ Reply to Thread