any food magazines on your regular read list?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like Saveur, personally.

I like Lucky Peach.Well written articles,interesting recipes/techniques and some great humor.

i like Lucky Peach. my wife gets Bon Appetit, and i read it occasionally, but i don't think it's a very good mag.

I like to get ideas for variations from Bon Appetit and Saveur is nice and usually pretty technical. Both of them have way to much advertisements. La Cucina Italiana is ok too but pricey and still has alot of advertisements. You can usually get deals on the for 4-5 bucks a year on discountmags.com so I dont mind getting each. I looked at Lucky Peach one time but then forgot to get a subscription, thanks for the reminder. I like having them here to flip through but only make something every other month from them.

Gastronomica is a fun food literature read. As for cooking magazines, I like Jamie (UK), Cuisine (NZ), and La Cucina Italiana (US version). Out of the more mainstream mags, I think Fine Cooking is my favorite. I also just started geting Lucky Peach, but I haven't had time to read it yet.

k.

I like lucky peach as well as food arts, food arts is free to.

I love Lucky Peach, have it since issue one.Just noticed there is one out of sweden called FOOL,looks amazing,cannot get my hands on it. If anyone cares to help a fellow from Canadia out, I can give you... I don't know, Maple Syrup???

I've never read Lucky Peach. Where can I get it in Canada?

I've never read Lucky Peach. Where can I get it in Canada?

I get mine from Indigo/Chapters here in Toronto. I have every issue except #1 can't find it anywhere(for retail price that is).

When I can find a copy, Fire & Knives is a great quarterly from the UK. The writing is excellent, also really like Lucky Peach

Gastronomica is a fun food literature read. As for cooking magazines, I like Jamie (UK), Cuisine (NZ), and La Cucina Italiana (US version). Out of the more mainstream mags, I think Fine Cooking is my favorite. I also just started geting Lucky Peach, but I haven't had time to read it yet. k.
I always thought Cooks Illustrated was clearly better than Fine Cooking, and certainly less beholden to vendors.....but I'm thinking about letting my subscription lapse (first time since 1998).

One I would suggest passing up is Mix. It started out good but the last year or so have really sucked. Talk about beholding to way too much money advertisers. My sub will end as soon as it runs out.

I get mine from Indigo/Chapters here in Toronto. I have every issue except #1 can't find it anywhere(for retail price that is).

I have seen some ridiculous asking prices for LP #1, I had 2 copies at one point I will try to find my spare for you , if you want.

I always thought Cooks Illustrated was clearly better than Fine Cooking, and certainly less beholden to vendors.....but I'm thinking about letting my subscription lapse (first time since 1998).

I get almost all of the cooking magazines (good or bad) as I write it off as a business expense. And I am with you Z that I used to like Cook's Illustrated more, but it just seems so dated now as it appeals to an older population (sort of like Consumer Reports). Plus, I just found the repetition of things a little annoying, and the equipment reviews are really tanking now that the variety of products has increased 1000% and they change so quickly. Cooks Illustrated simply can't keep up withe velocity and quantity of new products, so their equipment reviews are becoming less relevant every year -- and for me they are almost completely worthless.

With that said, Cook's Illustrated has forever changed the way I prepare broccoli, cauliflower, and pork tinga. And I will be using it again next week as I bake a rhubarb pie. I enjoy their approach when tackling basic food preparation.

On the other hand, I find the newer Fine Cooking format from 2009 better IMO. A lot of people didn't like it as it eliminated some traditional sections and pull outs and -- gasp -- the fonts changed. I like their cooking without recipes section where they set out the basic steps with the logic behind them and a bunch of ways you can adjust ingredients to make variations. It gets me thinking out of the box sometimes.

Btw, has anyone ever tried Waitrose Food Illustrated? I bought one a couple of years ago and I vaguely remember that I liked it -- but I could be wrong.

k.

When I can find a copy, Fire & Knives is a great quarterly from the UK. The writing is excellent, also really like Lucky Peach

Oh man, I forgot that I used to subscribe to Fire & Knives. I don't think they ever sent a renewal notice, so I only got it for one year.

k.

I subscribe to Bon Appetit, Saveur and Lucky Peach as well as Decanter.

Lucky Peach fo sho.
I have had subscriptions to Bon Apetit, Saveur, and Food & Wine. I haven't renewed any of them and am on my last issue of all 3. I find the majority of each mag's content to be nothing but advertisements. The only people that I have personally known to grace the inside of any magazine were fortunate enough to have pricey PR people. I'm not going to miss the Bobby Flay Fage yogurt ads at all.
I remember when Saveur was a much better magazine. It's so lame now, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's James Oseland.........
.....more flash than function. It doesn't have heart anymore.
I haven't seen a FoodArts for a long time until recently and was disappointed that after all this time it is (still) filled with at least 3/4 ads instead of content. I guess that's why it's free.

I used to really enjoy Cook's Illustrated a long time ago. But after so many years in this industry, I think I outgrew it a long time ago. They have great standard recipes and such, but nothing innovative. Christopher Kimball annoys the crap out of me anyway...............
.....somewhere a barbershop quartet is missing a member.

I live in the South and there is a pretty decent mag coming out of Charleston, SC called The Local Palate. It does a great job of featuring different regions of the Southeast. Great production value, excellent photos and good food. It's nice to see something like this in my area.

Lucky peach.Gourmet Traveller (AU) .Cuisine (NZ). Online - Chow Hound .FineDiningLovers. Restaurant and Caterer(UK).

I have gone paperless and don't subscribe to any of them, but might reconsider after reading through this thread. Oh, and I just saw on my bank statement that I have an online subscription to the Cook's Illustrated site, I didn't even remember...

Stefan

I remember when Saveur was a much better magazine. It's so lame now, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's James Oseland......

THIS.

Btw, I remember when I was in Europe and used to buy the American versions of a couple magazines. They were expensive just as it is more expensive to buy Euro versions in the US. Vanity Fair is one that I remember, and I was always impressed by how thin it was and how few adds were in it. It was nice. Then when I returned to the US and picked up the same version here, it was PACKED with adds that made it so thick that I stopped buying it. I would easily pay a premium to subscribe to no-ad versions if they ever did that.

k.

I should also give some love to Cook's Illustrated. I had a subscription, but didn't renew it two years ago, because it seemed a bit too dated. Come to think of it, Saveur took its spot.

cooks illustrated is okay.

the best thing to happen to that company is Yvonne Ruperti. i think she is so cute, and hot.

i like my CI subscription go as well. the mag is very repetitious.

When I am in mood for reading something fun: Lucky Peach
Casual reading (after I rip the pages with all ad's off ) : Gourmet traveller

Back