Quantcast
Favorite modernist techniques or foods
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite modernist techniques or foods

Favorite modernist techniques or foods

I have modernist cuisine at home here and haven't really gotten into any of the chemical alternation stuff. I have done the easier ones the caramelized carrot soup and sous vide. I'd like to hear about other people's favorites or successes or failures if you guys wanna talk about them. I hope to get in gear and buy the modernist pantry kit and give the book a complete try.

Whats your favorite dish or technique from MC as well as something you do not care for. I really like the carrot soup, even without the fresh carrot juice.

Thanks

I'd like to play with a Pacojet, but haven't had the opportunity yet. I'm ok with changing the state of natural ingredients but I have no interest in chemical adulterants.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

How is the modernist cuisine at home? I was considering getting the main book but have been put off by the 508$ price tag considering I might not really get into it =/

I have done powders, caviar, foams, fluid gels, and sous vide. They have their place but I am more of a classic method type of person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    How is the modernist cuisine at home? I was considering getting the main book but have been put off by the 508$ price tag considering I might not really get into it =/
    Jordanp:

Welcome from a fellow Canadian (in Hamilton)!

I think that Modernist Cuisine at Home is a great introduction to the subject, even for a chef like me. It's a modest investment and at the least will get you looking at your cooking from a different perspective. If you really like it, then you can get the full set later.

Actually the microwave Eggplant Parmesan is excellent! You should try it for an easy, healthy, quick and nutritious dinner for two or appetizer for 4.

I also like to sous vide wild Atlantic or Copper River Salmon, because of how it maintains the gorgeous color of the fish.

I was somewhat disappointed with using sodium citrate to make the macaroni & cheese. I followed the instructions precisely and found the sauce far too thick and plastic-looking.

I do like fluid gels.

totally agree with you on the sodium citrate. It did take on a more plastic texture but mine came out too thin not to thick. I love the book however, its currently on loan to Zwifel. it taught me a lot. I love the pressure cookeer recipes too.

I'm enjoying the book thoroughly...almost mad that I'm in the RV and can't start doing this stuff immediately! Almost It's really stirring my imagination for some creative things I can do.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I can't wait to buy a pressure cooker and try the pork carnitas recipe, I bet it will be awesome.

+ Reply to Thread