Japanese Knives Shigefusa thinning, refinishing, and sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Had this one in from a customer... just finished today...

1025784_10151545941078860_1032689332_o.jpg

Close up, and macro shots? Would love to see that :)

Ah image is already 2048 pixel wide, no worries. Just need to open it up in a new tab.

Be honest did you post this because I just bought a shig? :doublethumbsup:

And Wolfgang Puck At Hotel Bel-Air... Not a bad way to spend $200

Be honest did you post this because I just bought a shig? :doublethumbsup:

And Wolfgang Puck At Hotel Bel-Air... Not a bad way to spend $200

I think I posted pics of the meal somewhere on here... It was my birthday present to myself

jon, what condition was it in before the process? i recently got a shig and it needed a lot of work. i spent a good hour on a chosera 400 and it cuts now but still wedges considerably on potatoes so needs more thinning. just wondering how much more i need to do to get it to anywhere near your level. i only thinned about half inch behind the edge, maybe another half inch?

i use the big wheel for a lot of coarse work... thinning took place from about 1 inch up or so. Just look at the geometry and go until it starts to make sense.

yeah... and a lot of work goes into making it a smooth convex face on the sides of the knife

I did mine thinner than that too, but it's a good starting point, especially if he thinks he has 2 hours of coarse work left, after seeing it!

honestly, its not the grinding that takes time... i was done with the grinding in a few minutes... its the making it look pretty that takes time ;)

Is protecting the hollow sections in the blade a concern? (I believe on the faces of the blade which would normally be flat, there is a large diameter hollow made with a sen, although I'm not 100% sure if it exists or not).

This is not normally something on double bevel knives (with a couple of exceptions off the top of my head, but not these)

Back