Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Performance Contest

A friendly competition, I would add.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    A friendly competition, I would add.
    I will second that.
    This is gonna be a fun thing, and I truly believe there will be stuff to learn here, regardless of all the un-scientific parameters on such a small test.

Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    While I do see your point regarding this, I am afraid I must dissappoint you in this area.
    I do enjoy knives and all, but my collection of non-sharpened and unused knives in this price range is eeh, quite limited..
    I could always order a new one I guess, but that would kinda put a sock in this little experiment for what?, 9-12 months or even more.
    I'm not talking about sharpening, I'm talking about aftermarket performance upgrades like thinning or reprofiling. You can't take say a Kato or Shig and do major thinning behind the edge and then enter it as a Japanese makers finished product because it's now been altered. This defeats the entire purpose of the contest doesn't it?

Tell ya what, let's have a race.
    We'll both use cars of a similar cost or performance range. But, I'll then upgrade the intake, headers, exhaust, add racing tires, strip out all the excess weight and put a performance tune on it. Are you still racing the same car as the manufacturer intended?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Theory, it's more like having two of the same cars. Both with all upgrades you describe(ie Corvette vs. the Mustang debate) but one has no tires.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    You need more than one tester. Otherwise you have a data set of one.

-AJ
    I agree with this. One doesn't mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    I agree with this. One doesn't mean much.
    There will be 3

Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    There will be 3
    Yes, multiple testers.

WIP on the knife will be forthcoming.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    ...The Kato is already made. It is known for shape style, and i'm sure a kanji. The only way this could be taken care of would be for Marko to make the exact knife. I don't think that is achievable, and if it would be I wouldn't think Marko would do it.
    Be careful what you wish.

Is there an interest for a 240-270mm Kato clone in 52100? I have stock 4.75mm thick that is close enough to Kato's 5.75mm on 270mm (probably even closer to 240mm). I could also get thicker stock from Aldo.

Geometry 1:1, profile - maybe tweaked a little bit, finish - hand rubbed, handle D or octagonal (this would a pitch grip held knife because of the weight), saya. Hardness 62-63RC. It would be heat treated for maximum wear resistance, sharpness and edge toughness (resistance to chipping).

This is not a geometry I would choose for my knives, or send one for competition but as an exercise, I am a game. Might even keep a prototype for myself for specific cuttings tasks.

This is an easier knife for me to make than ones I make now.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Be careful what you wish.

Is there an interest for a 240-270mm Kato clone in 52100? I have stock 4.75mm thick that is close enough to Kato's 5.75mm on 270mm (probably even closer to 240mm). I could also get thicker stock from Aldo.

Geometry 1:1, profile - maybe tweaked a little bit, finish - hand rubbed, handle D or octagonal (this would a pitch grip held knife because of the weight), saya. Hardness 62-63RC. It would be heat treated for maximum wear resistance, sharpness and edge toughness (resistance to chipping).

This is not a geometry I would choose for my knives, or send one for competition but as an exercise, I am a game. Might even keep a prototype for myself for specific cuttings tasks.

This is an easier knife for me to make than ones I make now.

Thoughts?
    I will make one just for the hell of it.

Just as is the case with professional testers of cars and other things where complete double blind assessment is impossible, I'm pretty sure we have at least three people here who have the skills, experience, integrity and objective nature to test. Salty (once he's set free), Mattrud, Theory and Son come to mind.

They may prefer certain geometry and profile, but they'll separate out the subjective from the objective issues brought up in the original Japanocentric thread.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain