Quantcast
Knife Performance Contest - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Performance Contest

Because the test is conducted by man, there will be a level of subjectivity. But if a test params and judgement criteria are agreed upon, then it should be good. It's like a auto magazine shoot-out comparison tests. Even with the same cars tested, it's not that Automobile, Road & Track, Car and Driver, Consumer Reports, etc. will select the same winner. However, as we know how they are tested and how they are judged, we can consume the feedback intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I repeat that I can only control what I put in making this knife, I can't control testers' preferences, biases, etc. So it's not a straight shot and I am prepared to lose the contest.
    So what's the point of doing it then? You say

No, you are comparing the knife's ability to handle any work you throw at it. One that's more efficient, wins. Efficiency is evaluated by five criteria outlined in the first post.

We are not asking a weight lifter run against a sprinter, or a marathon runner run against sprinter. The knives are comparable and designed to do a similar work, presumably efficiently. So, what is the problem to put them to a contest?

The emphasis is not on personal preferences of a tester, but on a knife as a tool to perform all work that one normally does with a knife during a work shift.
    And now you're saying you might lose because of the testers' personal preferences? So you're agreeing with me?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    So what's the point of doing it then? You say

And now you're saying you might lose because of the testers' personal preferences? So you're agreeing with me?
    Competition makes you learn and adopt. Without competition you really don't know where you stand.

I hope that I will get enough explanation and feedback by a party that is unaffected by the forum, but who uses knives for living to make it worthwhile.

If I knew that I would win, I would not have bothered competing. Plus I don't believe people's preferences are stone-rigid.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Um I kinda have a problem with the two knives not having any markings and such. The Kato is already made. It is known for shape style, and i'm sure a kanji. The only way this could be taken care of would be for Marko to make the exact knife. I don't think that is achievable, and if it would be I wouldn't think Marko would do it.

So how does one go about undoing what has already done? Do you send both knives in 1 package wrapped in tape from handle to the kanji?

Just some thoughts there.
    Chewie's the man.

Competition makes you learn and adopt. Without competition you really don't know where you stand.

I hope that I will get enough explanation and feedback by a party that is unaffected by the forum, but who uses knives for living to make it worthwhile.

If I knew that I will win, I would not have bothered competing.

M
    To me that's like asking people who own Ford Kas and Nissan Micras to test a Ferrari versus a Porsche.

You seem to use your pass arounds as a learning tool.This test follows your logic. I expect all your customers will benefit from the what you learn. I commend you for continuing to challenge yourself this way and look forward to the end result.

I love your attitude Marko...it reminds me of a sign I saw a few years ago:

experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Why? I find it a bit puzzling why some of you think that comparing two knives is like comparing apples and oranges. We are not comparing deba and gyuto here - same type, same lengh, and I presume that knife it is to test against is made to be used in pro environment.

There are fixed criteria they will be tested on, but overall, one test them for their efficiency to do the work, same as, say two sprinters square off running 100 meters. Why can you have contests in other spheres of life (sports, cooking, technology, etc) but not here? Both knives are made to do same work - cutting a variety of things. I am genuinely perplexed.

Note that I have no idea what the testers' preferences are, I have some idea what knife it will be tested against, but I am not going to make any adjustments to my process. So a blind test is the way to go and multiple testers will hopefully eliminate some bias. It's highly unscientific exercise, or course, but there should be something to learn from it.

It's quite different from sharpening Olympics, as the knifet hat won the sharpness contest, would not have lasted long on the board.

M
    Whoa! Please don't over think this Marko based upon my comment. I only meant the 'sharpening olympics' comparison in the loosest of senses: it was an interesting knife-related comparison/contest/competition...or whatever you want to call it. It just crossed my mind, that's all. And I am well aware of the "wire-edged" winner of that past contest and the scandalous results and I don't see this as the same.

I'd also like to apologize for inadvertently starting this thread down the road of hackneyed sports metaphors. My bad.

So with that said, as I don't have mod privileges, I revise my prior statement.

"Interesting. This in no way reminds me a bit of the sharpening olympics way back when."

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Um I kinda have a problem with the two knives not having any markings and such. The Kato is already made. It is known for shape style, and i'm sure a kanji. The only way this could be taken care of would be for Marko to make the exact knife. I don't think that is achievable, and if it would be I wouldn't think Marko would do it.

So how does one go about undoing what has already done? Do you send both knives in 1 package wrapped in tape from handle to the kanji?

Just some thoughts there.
    I am familiar with Kato geometry and I suppose I could make a replica if I wanted, but it's not a geometry I use or intend to, thought I got some ideas after trying out that knife.

I am not overly concerned about marking. We can ask people not to look up the maker or read reviews. I am sure it's not too much to ask.

Karring, no worries, man. I do remember that contest and the outcome of it (it was a long time ago, wasn't it), so I thought that addressing it early on would take some skepticism away, not necessarily from your side, but in general.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I suggest any knife supplied by the competitors must be "factory" ground. No aftermarket work done whatsoever. No thinning behind the edge or any other geometry alteration.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/