Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Knife Performance Contest

These are specs of a knife I will make for a contest.

Steel - 52100
    Lengh - 240mm on the edge
    Thickness -3.4mm at the spine, 3.25 over the heel, 2.25 half way, 1.85mm 50mm from the tip
    Weight - 225g with the handle
    Edge thickness - under .127mm at the edge
    Thickness 10mm above edge - heel 1mm, halfway .85mm, tip .85mm
    Handle - D (if all three testers are right or left handled, otherwise octagonal)

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

Steel - 52100
    Thickness -3.4mm at the spine, 3.25 over the heel, 2.25 half way, 1.85mm 50mm from the tip
    Handle - D (if all three testers are right or left handled, otherwise octagonal)

Test run. Made a little thinner than specs above, however with a slightly thicker tip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0565.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	16685

gotta get me one of them honesukis
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    gotta get me one of them honesukis
    I'm getting one in mystery carbon. Right Marko?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I'm getting one in mystery carbon. Right Marko?
    Remember H.Ford's quote that you can have any color of a car you want, as long as it's black?

Looking into polishing steels with diamonds, Alternatively, I can make one but it won't have as nice a finish.

M

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Love the contest knife looks like it's coming along very well.

I agree with son. Good looking honesukis.
    Chewie's the man.

Actually, this is a test run before I make a contest knife. I ground it with a slightly thicker tip and also tested a couple of approaches if I were to grind a whole batch (how to do it efficiently). As there is always a knife I need to make for someone, this one will go to a customer.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

Steel - 52100
    Kinda in the sweet spot there.

hello, i've read this thread with great interest

1)Mr Tsourkan i love your attitude, in a world everyone claims more or less true statements, doing this kind of test (even if it remains subjective) is a nice behaviour.

2) i'm in france unfortunately, but i'll move to a new opening in september (as a chef in a highest grade retirement house reduced team so i'll do myself 70% of the work)
    i'd love to test two knives.
    i will be making a single menu everyday, and as the house will fill slowly i'll have time to put to test the knives. it will mostly be volume works but with regularity. I don't consider myself a grand chef, but i always try to do highest possible quality work in adequation with time, hardware and cost. 20-40 pounds of veggies per day to cut, on a 5 day a week work basis. slicing meat, but no raw fish work or large meat to butcher.

my set consists of misono and hattori HD's mostly along with a few gekko too and western blades.

i have a HD 240mm gyuto that i like very much, which is not considered high end in these boards, and could be a regular contender, along with some other japanese knife, maybe higher end (you choose and find

anyways i like the mood of this duel.

let me know if i can be of use, i'll be happy to help and to make myself an idea of what high end is.

Marko, I think the challenge is a nice chance to have some fun and see how your work stacks up. No matter how subjective, it will still be a good experience, and will help your never-ending quest for perfection. Shoot, who doesn't like to compete a little every now and then? No special rating or points system is needed, all you need to hear is "I liked this one more then that one". The world will not cease spinning because the reviewers are not measuring and reproducing x pounds of downforce and xx mm of draw with every cutting motion. Part of what will lead to the winning knife is the ability to elicit some emotions for the reviewers.