Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Knife Performance Contest

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Marko, I think the challenge is a nice chance to have some fun and see how your work stacks up. No matter how subjective, it will still be a good experience, and will help your never-ending quest for perfection. Shoot, who doesn't like to compete a little every now and then? No special rating or points system is needed, all you need to hear is "I liked this one more then that one". The world will not cease spinning because the reviewers are not measuring and reproducing x pounds of downforce and xx mm of draw with every cutting motion. Part of what will lead to the winning knife is the ability to elicit some emotions for the reviewers.
    I love competing. Always did and doubt will ever won't let it go whatever things I do, be it sports, work, personal challenges, etc.

When I was younger, winning was everything. Now, I just put my best effort and enjoy the participation.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I see the shigefusa influence, do you have other favorites you draw inspiration from? Say Watanabe. I have both and wish I could combine both and also a slightly different profile.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I see the shigefusa influence, do you have other favorites you draw inspiration from? Say Watanabe. I have both and wish I could combine both and also a slightly different profile.
    Shigefusa - geometry, fit and finish
    Masamoto - profile
    DT - steels, HT, DMT sharpening, damascus, handle construction, knife making process, and more
    Fish, Bob Kramer - handles, saya
    The Boardsmith, Nesmuk - endgrain boards
    Roesle Open Kitchen - magnetic strip
    Dave Martell - water stones sharpening, stropping

That's about it. I would say that the biggest influence and help (if everything could be totaled up) came from DT.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

As someone who has known Marko for awhile, I would bet my last dollar that whatever happens with this contest he will come away with additional knowledge that he will put to use in honing his craft to even higher levels. Ultimately, Marko, and all his future customers, will be the winners.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I love competing. Always did and doubt will ever won't let it go whatever things I do, be it sports, work, personal challenges, etc.

When I was younger, winning was everything. Now, I just put my best effort and enjoy the participation.

M
    +10
    Chewie's the man.

This project didn't take off, unfortunately, but I am still a game for it.

If one of you guys would like to test my knife against any knife you provide (testing done by third parties, preferably pros and you do all organizing), please post here and let's get this started. The knife I would provide should match the knife tested against in weight and thickness, so I would like to know what it is.

To refresh the memories testing should be done on all of the following:

- sharpness
    - edge retention
    - edge stability (resistance to chipping)
    - food release
    - overall feel of the knife

I don't mind to send the knife out the US, as long as the criteria outlined in the thread are met.

M

This project didn't take off, unfortunately, but I am still a game for it.

If you would like to test my knife against any knife, do all the organizing (all I need to do is to send you the knife), please post here and let's start the discussion. The knife I would provide should match the knife tested against in weight and thickness, but other than that, anything goes.

M
    What, who cancelled?

Now, it is no biggie to me, and running this locally might actually be a more doable, and controllable, effort.
    But for the record, my knife for this has been ready to go for months

I look forward to seeing the results regardless!

I assumed that it didn't take off as I haven't head for your or Harald for a while. Either way, I am a game, just need to know what to make.

M

I assumed that it didn't take off as I haven't head for your or Harald for a while. Either way, I am a game, just need to know what to make.

M
    Oh, my apologies then.
    I was under the impression that you were busy making the knife, and seem to remember reading as much.
    No worries, my choice of knife is still the same as back then, my first Kato.
    That being the prototype I picked up back in 2011.
    I have a newer version as well, but in my opinion, the first one is still the best of them
    Naturally that knife has been used good, and have been thinned a couple times by now, but the basic geometry should be reasonable close to how it was as new.

Now, it's no big deal to me how this is done, if it is more doable, from a practical and logistical viewpoint, to do it locally I'm still standing behind my word and my bet.

I'm game either way

Heavy chef's it it. What's yours on the edge, 240mm?