Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help dealing with carbon steel

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    while the gengetsu is a good knife, its not quite what you are describing. The suisin funayuki is totally a different knife all together. Funayuki is not really a gyuto shape... its a deba... only in the US has it become this pointy style of gyuto.
    I meant Suisin INOX honyaki. Just looked at the weight though and it looks like a laser, probably won't gain me anything over my Ginga. How does the Gengetsu differ from what I am looking for?
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Maybe...but aren't both of those a little thick? I'm first and foremost a push cutter, so if I have to choose it will be a knife that slides through food with little effort while slicing.
    Yoshikane in white 2 is fairly substantial at the spine but very thin at the edge. The thicker KS style Yusuke is supposed to be 2.8mm at the spine up from 2.3mm on the normal ones. I've never used one but its been said that the extra thickness allows for a more convex grind.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Hot chicken patina works well on the shig.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    I found that using blood and cutting up a lot of proteins to force a patina worked the best on my Kitaeji Shig. I haven't had any smell / discoloration issues since I did that.
    I may try that if what I did tonight doesn't cut it. Actually wiping it down on a damp rag everytime I set it down seemed to work ok. I don't want to sell this Shig since I really like the cutting.

That said, any opinions on Teruyasu Fujiwara, Masakage Koishi, maybe even Takeda?
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Maybe...but aren't both of those a little thick? .
    There are many flavours of Yoshikanes. The SKD hammered series has been around for many years (one of the first gyutos to be "flavour of the month iirc) and has become synonymous with the Yoshikane name. Iirc the wa gyutos (in general) were considered to become more "mighty" through the range 210-240-270 (not uncommon), whilst everything I read about the western-handled variants seemed to suggest they were real beasts. More recently the kasumi SKD/SLD knives became more common (through DrNaka, Maksim), plus other, more expensive lines such as the Tamamoku suminagashi in white steel, V2 and VG10 and the SLD kurouchi damascus.

I have a Zensho-Yoshikane 240 mm gyuto and "cuts like a laser with more heft" is a great description. I believe Maksim had these made to his own spec. It is thick at the handle (not at all unusual for a forged blade) with a beautiful, consistent distal taper to a very fine tip. The grind is excellent, and the knife (stock) is very thin behind the edge. It is undoubtedly more difficult to sharpen than good carbon, but takes a good edge which is tough and very resistant to chipping. As you might expect from SKD12, retention is very good. Profile is reasonably flat and lends itself well to push cutting, but I think is particularly suited to slicing.

I think Yoshikane knives are somewhat underrated, probably because they are relatively common/not esoteric enough for those seeking the next/newest/greatest thing. Ymmv.