Quantcast
Need help dealing with carbon steel - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help dealing with carbon steel

Also, the Masamoto KS is a totally different knife than the Shig - there is very little comparison between the two imo and I have both.

I own both the KS (Honyaki) and Shig myself (only had the Shig a week). I agree they are very different and complement each other well. I did not recommend it because it was similar to the Shig, I recommended it because of what he described as wanting (flat profile and less reactive carbon). I also don't force a patina myself, but since he was doing a hot vinegar bath I assumed this his how he wanted to approach the problem.

Congrats on that purchase by the way - that is one beautiful handle on that baby. I don't know why people are selling off Shigs right now, I don't think I could part with mine.

Thanks, I agree the Macassar Ebony & Buffalo Horn Handle is beautiful. So far I love every aspect of the Shigefusa and this one wont be hitting the B/S/T again.

Back to the OP, it sounds like carbon might not be for you. There is extra care needed and its not for everyone. Good thing there are some great stainless and semi-stainless out there

You guys who have both a KS and Shig I'd be curious about how they compare to each other? And versus a laser like the Ginga if you've used one.

So I took some 00 and 0000 steel wool after the Shig and that helped a lot. I just cut a bunch of onions with my Ginga and Shig and I'm still undecided, which makes me think the finish on the Shig still isn't like it was with just a mustard patina, since I remember it being a bit better than the Ginga on onions. I did use a damp rag like in Jon's video and it seemed to work well, so maybe I can live with that. I also noticed the Shig is 5/8" longer than the Ginga, almost makes me wonder if just getting a 240 Ginga would solve my problems. That length will definitely push my limits though, a real 8" is just about as much as I like in my work area. I may strip the patina, do light patina with mustard and see if that is slicker.
    ~Brandon

Stripped the vinegar patina, rubbed with steel wool, and reapplied a mustard patina. This time I wiped it on very thin, dried right away. After I clean it is a little yellow/orange in spots of the cladding, so I confident it was just an effect of the mustard, not rust as I earlier feared. Will do some more chopping tomorrow to figure out what I want to do.
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    You guys who have both a KS and Shig I'd be curious about how they compare to each other ?
    I have only owned the Shigefusa for a week and still in the honeymoon phase. So I'll have to pass on making an honest comparison. I'll leave DeepCSweede to make the comparison since he has more time/experience with the Shig.

What about a Yoshikane? There is also that thicker Sakai Yusuke in the KS profile that has been talked about in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by bamin View Post
    What about a Yoshikane? There is also that thicker Sakai Yusuke in the KS profile that has been talked about in the past?
    Maybe...but aren't both of those a little thick? I'm first and foremost a push cutter, so if I have to choose it will be a knife that slides through food with little effort while slicing.
    ~Brandon

Hot chicken patina works well on the shig.