Quantcast
Does this butt make my handle look fat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this butt make my handle look fat?

Does this butt make my handle look fat?

I have this knife at the preliminary finish stage, and I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the handle length. Do you guys think it looks out of proportion? I'm thinking about making it a bit shorter, butt that would require some gymnastics to revers if I don't like it!

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I have this knife at the preliminary finish stage, and I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the handle length. Do you guys think it looks out of proportion? I'm thinking about making it a bit shorter, butt that would require some gymnastics to revers if I don't like it!

I typically decide on the length of a handle by placing a knife in my hand for a comfortable handle grip (not a pinch grip), clench my fist and add index and middle finger (from the other hand) to the fist. The total length (fist and two fingers) is the length for me, regardless if it's wa or western. Learned this for Hoss.
    Make sure you don't hold it too close to the bolster, otherwise you might end up with a short handle.
    Your handle looks about right length to me.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

How long is the blade? If, say, 150, I think it's okay. But if that's a 210 or 240 I think it's a little long.

looks like a good size to me

I think it looks too long, but that is not to say when it is finished it will. The current shape makes it look more oversized than it really is. Maybe if the handle is rounded a little more it will make it look more proportianate.

Did you make the mosiac pin? The "S" looks pretty cool!

The blade is 200mm, The handle is 5 3/8 inches long. Marko's method comes out to right about where it is now.
    I did make the pin, thanks!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Things can look funny when the pins are not closer to center of the handle. Other then the but of the handle looking a bit fat I saw its ok

If you are making the knife for yourself the handle size should be what makes you happy.Most of my handles are longer then normal.

i slightly "ground down" the top of the but end and moved the pin
    i didnt do anything to the length of the handle

Cool! Butt the pin is staying where it is, I'm afraid. I was thinking about taking the butt down a bit, I think I'll do that. I let the bevels on the handle taper off toward the butt, I think I will take them down a bit more along the length as well.
    Spike C
    Pirsig