Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Advice to Knife Makers?

+1! Also, be prepared to have a nice big slice of humble pie. It will happen if you are serious. Between the pro's, and the high end home user, these guys know what works, and will quickly tell you what doesn't.

I think I can speak for all makers on this forum, when I say, if it wasn't for the members, and taking their advice to heart, we would still be trying to make a knife that performs.

"It's all been done before!" The Japanese, Germans, Frence, have been making task specific knives for hundreds of years? The profiles and geometry, are practical, and functional. By all means, try to improve, but there are no "Tactical Nakiris", although a butterfly parer could be cool!

Have fun, read, ask questions, and if corrected, or advised to consider a potential fault in your design, these guys are likely right, and you are not! It isn't personal, they know what will work, and what will annoy the crap out of them after a 12 hour prep shift.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Buy, borrow or steal some of the most raved-about knives and study them for profile, grind, balance, steel/ hardening, etc. Find out about what knives are raved about by devoting a few days to reading through KKF posts. And if they do not know how to use kitchen knives, find some friends who do and have them test early prototypes before even throwing them out in the wild for KKF pass-arounds.
    +1

You need to develop a feel what makes a knife cut (profile, geometry, steels) well. Your knife making skills will give you a head start, but the hardest part in making a good kithchen knife is to understand the rest. Trying different grins, asking questions, passarounds and of course evaluating your own knives while using them is a good start.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com