New potential handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
So I have been toying with this idea for a while now. A way to do a strong, sanitary handle, that looks good, yet isn't expensive to build.

Synthetics are a little tougher than woods, but look kinda sterile. Its hard to dress it up, and not look over the top. Commercial carbon fiber is usually lay up flat, looks good on 2 sides, and all edge grain on the others.

This is a process I figured out after several attempts, finally figured a way to do it. This is hand layerd carbon fiber, so you can see the fibers all around. I used white vulcanized fiber spacers, to break it up a little, and a G10 ferrule, and end cap.

I would like to know what you think. For or against, if you like the idea or not.

I think it could look cool with shiny powdered stainless. Reminds me of hockey skates and sticks a little bit but that isn't a problem for me.

Is there any texture to it?

Its smooth, and grippy, does that make sense? Even wet, it isn't slick. You still have tactile grip.

I think it's a great idea an would be a big hit. I love my custom handles but I for one don't want "custom burl" on all my work knives. Something comfortable and cheap I could get 3 or 4 of my work knives that aren't customs done at the same time if the price was right. Plus I could spend the extra $$$ on a wa conversion for my new dragon. That handle would be perfect.

Looks great.

Hard to tell from the photos--is there any way for food and grunge to get embedded in the fibers/weave?

Looks great.

Hard to tell from the photos--is there any way for food and grunge to get embedded in the fibers/weave?

Zero. It is completely resin impregnated. Water/food tight. There are 10 layers of carbon/resin around a the core.

Looks great, I would like to see it on a knife to get a better idea of the overall look.

Are you winding it around a conical base shape and then pulling the core?
Loks cool, rather industrial...

The core is preshaped, with exaggerated facets, and the carbon weave is applied after. The core is then drilled to accept a tang, pieces assembled, and final shape and finish coat applied.

Perfect, modern twist on the classic black on black look :doublethumbsup:

+1 on modern, it's like putting a modern twist on a classic dish. making it even more classyand yet oh so modern.

am i making sense? lol

NO!!!! You have to use wood! :justkidding: I actually like it.

Haha. I saw Myron was the last post and thought in my head, "he's gonna ask where the wood is...". :D

I love it and think it would be perfect on a mid tech in a pro environment. Hell, perfect for my wife!

Haha. I saw Myron was the last post and thought in my head, "he's gonna ask where the wood is...". :D
Heck, the way 3D printers are headed, everyone will be making their own handles in a few years.

I'll express a dissenting opinion: I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber look in general, so I don't care for the look of the handle.

Latest posts

Back