Blue#2 vs R2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms4awd

Reaction score
If anyone has used both steels would like your opinions. Considering 2 knives san mai with each as the core steel. This will be for a gyuto. i have experience with aoko but not in a gyuto(yanagi and deba) i have no experience with r2. Any thoughts are welcome.

I am just a home cook, but I do have both. I love both. Obviously R2 is stainless vs a carbon in Blue2. Both sharpen very well/easy. The R2 has great edge retention, but tends to run a bit more in cost over blue2. I have a Kumagoro in Blue2 and an Itou in R2. Both 270mm gyuto with wa handles. Is there any specific area you what to compare them in?

Yes just in general opinions on edge holding and ease of sharpening... The r2 being ss is a plus as i hav carbon steel gyutos already, in the case of what im looking at the blue will cost more than the r2... On your itou how is the texture of the suminagashi? Is it textured? Does it affect food release?

On the itou, there is some texture, very slight bit if u run your fingernail across the side of the blade. It does have nice release tho. I really enjoy that knife. Stays about 85-90% of freshly sharpened feel for ages. Probably the least sharpened knife I have. Very good cutter.

hey mark, you're welcome to try out my moritaka gyuto if you want. =D

Is R2 composition still a secret or someone knows?

Thanks a mil ;) Bad I didn't find the original thread in time. I'll update the database asap.

Hey Franz... When the resto is up and running maybe you can bring the moritaka for a spin ;)

Back