WIP: First Yanagiba Fix

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Here's the story: I like to mess with knives. The problem is that I don't want to buy more cheapies and I don't want to experiment on my nice stuff SO I prey upon unsuspecting people that don't do a particularly good job of caring for their knives and promise to give them back something better than they had before. I've done this with great success fixing double bevel knives. This is my first single bevel project. If you have any advice, I'm all eyes. Bear with me as I figure out how to do pics...
These are the before pics. It is slightly concave in the normally curved area, there are chips, the shinogi is jacked and it's rusted and generally gross.

B4-Back.jpg

B4-front.jpg

This is after a few min fixing the profile on a belt grinder. The shape is a little triangular because I didn't want to grind off too much from the tip.

BG-front.jpg

BG-back.jpg

This is the current state after several hours of grinding into shape and some cosmetic polishing. The blade road is a little bumpy still and the shinogi is a little wavy due to an embarrassing moment of weakness for which I've repented. I'm not sure what to do with the jacked up back-side, yet.

Refi-front.jpg

Refi-back.jpg

Sorry it all came out at once. I had trouble with pics.

wow what a project... i like your got for it style though.
also enjoy seeing it as a WIP

Thanks! I got a lot of help from the proprietor at Japanese Knife Imports, aka J-Bro. I was really starting to sweat at one point. Thanks, Jon!

Depends. Among us, it's cool :thumbsup: or at least funny
Dunno if I'd recommend that you use the name in public, though

The name "J-Bro" sounds like a character from Jersey Shore. I will say that I agree with heirkb and recommend not to use it in public :) .

I agree, but if everyone continues calling me "Lefty-T", I'm ok with it. :p

Jon:

Grow your hair out long, then grease it back, and wear a white tank top and some bling (maybe a big gold chain with a knife medallion on it) and I think "J-Bro" will be the perfect nickname for you. :evilgrin:

Jon:

Grow your hair out long, then grease it back, and wear a white tank top and some bling (maybe a big gold chain with a knife medallion on it) and I think "J-Bro" will be the perfect nickname for you. :evilgrin:

i think maybe we all need to change our online names... this forums will become Kitchen knife Forums- Jersey Shore Edition

Good then I can still keep my screen name.

I'm interested in this repair! Are you planning on re-grinding the ura?

Thanks, Adam. As for the ura, it's ugly but there is really only one problem spot. I'm thinking of doing a normal sharpening with a lower grit stone (1k?) until it's flat across the entire edge and then polish up.

2lql.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
imagesofo.jpg
[/IMG]

Well one is annoying ;no wait
one is loud and never shuts up ;oh
one has a fake tan ,no
ah there the same person:slaphead:

Either one would be fun as long as there was no long-term relationship involved :) .

TK, whats the progress??
I smoothed out the blade road/shinogi some more and reground the ura so it goes all the way around the blade but I didn't have time to take pics before I returned it for feedback. I'll get it back on Tuesday and see how it held up and then go from there.

I got the knife back yesterday and it was a little rusty and had a few chips and the edge had rolled/deformed in a couple areas and the heel area was still pretty sharp. I took it to the Gesshin 400 (It's a soaker but I still love that stone.) to continue to clean up the blade road/shinogi and then went to Gesshin 1k and 5k on both sides so I could finish regrinding the ura and see how I'm doing based on how the light reflects off the surface of the blade road. I then rubbed a little BKF on both sides, used a rust eraser on the entire non-sharpening surface and refinished on the 5k. This is the result. From the begining, the knife has lost over 1 cm of length and a good 2-mm or so in height (edge to spine at the heel). The ura at the tip is still a little over-ground but I decided not to fix it at this point so as not to risk messing up the whole back side.
RND2-front.jpgRND2-back.jpg

Back