Quantcast
1st Pass-Around Effort . Cleaver Anyone ? - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st Pass-Around Effort . Cleaver Anyone ?

In terms of distal taper, one of my cleavers goes from 3.5mm to 1mm. Another one goes from just under 2.5mm to just under 1mm. I find that these work nicely, but I don't have a particular preference for one over another. I never thought about it much, but I'm sure the distal taper is part of the reason why nice cleavers feel nice to use - sorry I'm not a lot of help on this particular factor.

Rounding off the front (convex) is nice, but flat is fine. I use the front to scoop, and have not used it to descale fish. I use something other than my cleavers for fish. However, since you mention that, flat on the front edge might be more multipurpose.

I'm curious to see what the others report
    Len

Distal taper is common on cleavers, even though you arent working with the tip like a gyuto or suji.

Your suggested thickness sounds pretty good. And the thinner you can keep it behind the edge the better. Let the upper half of the blade account for the majority of the taper.

Like was mentioned before, the handle doesn't have to be the most ergonomic thing ever. Short, fat and stubby seems to look the best proportionally. And the grip most used has the thumb, fore finger, and middle finger on the blade, with just the ring finger and pinkie on the handle, so the balance point can be pretty far in front of the handle.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Impressively pointed
    This was some awesome feedback . Thank you all so much , I really appreciate the help !

Impressively pointed
    Ok Guys , I'm almost ready to cut steel with this project .
    From what I've read in the feed back and looked at on the internet , this is what I'm leaning toward as the specs on the cleaver .
    1) Length - 220mm
    2) Height - 100mm
    3) Thickness -2.5mm@ thickest w/distal taper to (hopefully) 1mm
    4) Handle - Wa style
    5) Edge - Flat , except for a minor bit of belly (25mm or so) at heel and tip .

If there are any changes you think should be considered , please let me know . After all , it is for you ..

Thanks again for all of your input and interest .
    Bill

Impressively pointed
    One more question. . . Should the bevel be 50/50 or something else?

Your specs 1-5 sound pretty good to me, though I think I'd generally prefer a western handle. I haven't really heard of any asymmetrically beveled cleavers, I think you'd want 50/50 and nice and thin behind the edge. Are you going to post WIP pics? I can't wait to see it.
    - Sean

Point #5 did you mean 2.5mm ?

Impressively pointed
    What I meant was the curvature would be from heel 25mm and the same at tip . The amount of lift to the curve would only be 1 mm or so. If that's good ?

Specs sound good. You might be able to go a little higher than 1mm on the belly, especially near the tip. Grind the 1mm belly into it, then put it on a cutting board and see how it feels.

I actually like some belly on the tip and very little or none at the heel.

And great talking to you on saturday!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Potato42 View Post
    I haven't really heard of any asymmetrically beveled cleavers, I think you'd want 50/50 and nice and thin behind the edge.
    I have a Suien VC and it is pretty much ground 70/30 or thereabout like a righty gyuto, the left side pretty much flat and the right side more convex (too bad I'm a lefty).

Closed Thread