Quantcast
1st Pass-Around Effort . Cleaver Anyone ?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Pass-Around Effort . Cleaver Anyone ?

Impressively pointed

1st Pass-Around Effort . Cleaver Anyone ?

Hey Guys , I was looking around a bit and I thought a cleaver would be a cool 1st effort . I don't see too many though , is there a reason ?

What I'd like to do is this :
    1) Get some input on what you guys think would make a good cleaver .
    2) Design , then construct said design .
    3) Do a Pass-around with it ( I'm thinking 5 guys ) .
    4) Then a possible Raffle / GAW .

Part of the plan is to keep the steel a secret and have a little fun with it . I've got some of the best steel in the world from Aldo .
    I'd also like to try a Wa style handle . Do you think they go well with cleavers ?

I really want to have some fun with this guys !
    Thanks , Bill

I think the reason you don't see cleavers is 1. a lot of people don't use them and 2. it's hard to get a consistent grind across the entire face of the blade. I wouldn't mind checking out a nice cleaver but if feedback is what you want, I probably wouldn't be a great choice since I have virtually no experience wielding them. I'm assuming you mean a chinese slicer as opposed to a meat cleaver.

Impressively pointed
    Yes, definitely a Chinese slicer.

I would like to get in on that, I have used a bunch of cleavers and know what too look for in one.

Impressively pointed
    What are some of your main concerns when selecting a cleaver?

If you are asking me, I like the cleaver to be in 420-450g range, the geometry has to be really good, it should not need to be thinned to improve performance.
    Profile is important too, I like less belly. Steel has to be with good edge retention, it is cleaver and will see more banging than a knife.

You need to get Andy777 in on this discussion, as well as in the passaround.

Engorged Member
    I'M IN!

I think TK is right. There aren't a lot of hardcore cleaver lovers, as most people prefer gyutos and sujis. And they are a chore for knife makers because it is a LOT of grinding and needs to be consistent. I like them flat, with a little belly on the first couple inches by the "tip" so I can still rock it if needed. And thin of course. I don't like them as big as some, somewhere around 8.5" x 3.75" is usually good for me. Not sure about the weight, but 350-420 gram range would prob be close, depending on what you use for a handle. I like stainless or low reactive carbon. If I have a ton of veg related prep at work, a cleaver would make quick work of it. But I can't have onions or cucumbers turning black on me after I have cut them, so semi or full stainless, or a low reactive carbon that behaves once patina-ed is necessary for me for a cleaver I can use at work.

I like wa-handles on cleavers, but shorter, fatter, and edges more rounded on normal wa handles. A barrel/wa handle hybrid would be awesome I think, like an octagonal handle that tapers on both ends and has smoother edges than traditional wa's.

If you do a passaround I would be interested in participating.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

That would be cool to be in on a cleaver pass around, but I simply don't have the cleaver experiance to give valuable input. +1 on getting Andy to do a review. From everything I have read he is THE cleaver guru.

Closed Thread