Quantcast
Natural stones for a beginner with nice knives
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Natural stones for a beginner with nice knives

Natural stones for a beginner with nice knives

Maxim,

I saw you have a set of synthetic stones for beginners, I am wondering what you would recommend in the natural stones as a set. Right now all my knives are carbon; a mixture of Takeda, Shigefusa, and Sabatier from the 30's. In the past I have been using an Edge Pro but now that I have seen the light thanks to Dave M and others I want to move up to JNS. I just received the Shigefusa and Takeda so I will not sharpen them until I have some natural stones with some practice under my belt.
    I tried to pick out a set but your selection is so great that I can't decide! The budget is flexible but I was hoping to get a set of 3 for around 500. I am hoping that is enough to get some nice stones, knowing the really nice stones are something I can move up to later if I feel the need.

Bill

Oh boy, hold on to your wallet. I learned that the hard way.

They're a lot of fun though. Enjoy the journey.

Sponsors
    it is better if you send me a email or PM

But anyway, for almost all beginners i will recommend to start with something soft, like lv 2 - 2,5. And maybe add a 3 or 3,5 at last polishing

it is mostly depend on personal preference and budget as you know.
    Aslo if you like hard or soft stones. smooth or with feedback.

Maxim, I will send a PM tomorrow when I have more time and have looked up the mentioned stones. I started a thread about the topic because I was thinking there might be others that might be interested in where the discussion went, although I also realize that maybe it's just to personal to generalize and come up with a basic set that would work. Looking forward to further discussions!

I too am interested in JNS but i find it a bit bewildering.I understand the l.v is hardness but i dont get the other titles like hakka,suita,renge etc.Iwould really appreciate a noobs guide to buying JNS.I have for instance 330.mate has a stone for $20,000 -reallly!! - why?

I found the Wiki on Maksims site very helpful! It is quite daunting at the beginning, but its alot of fun
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

the wiki is definitely helpful! there is also a list of youtube videos here:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...es-Compilation

Sponsors
    Dont look to much at titles They are most for collectors who want a stone from particular mine

20 000 USD is very normal in Japan, i have seen some that was much more expensive But usually it is not for us knife people. It is for very high end collectors carpenters or sword polishers

Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    I too am interested in JNS but i find it a bit bewildering.I understand the l.v is hardness but i dont get the other titles like hakka,suita,renge etc.Iwould really appreciate a noobs guide to buying JNS.I have for instance 330.mate has a stone for $20,000 -reallly!! - why?

+ Reply to Thread