Natural stones for a beginner with nice knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maxim,

I saw you have a set of synthetic stones for beginners, I am wondering what you would recommend in the natural stones as a set. Right now all my knives are carbon; a mixture of Takeda, Shigefusa, and Sabatier from the 30's. In the past I have been using an Edge Pro but now that I have seen the light thanks to Dave M and others:wink: I want to move up to JNS. I just received the Shigefusa and Takeda so I will not sharpen them until I have some natural stones with some practice under my belt.
I tried to pick out a set but your selection is so great that I can't decide! The budget is flexible but I was hoping to get a set of 3 for around 500. I am hoping that is enough to get some nice stones, knowing the really nice stones are something I can move up to later if I feel the need.

Bill

Oh boy, hold on to your wallet. I learned that the hard way. :)

They're a lot of fun though. Enjoy the journey.

it is better if you send me a email or PM :)

But anyway, for almost all beginners i will recommend to start with something soft, like lv 2 - 2,5. And maybe add a 3 or 3,5 at last polishing

it is mostly depend on personal preference and budget as you know.
Aslo if you like hard or soft stones. smooth or with feedback.

Maxim, I will send a PM tomorrow when I have more time and have looked up the mentioned stones. I started a thread about the topic because I was thinking there might be others that might be interested in where the discussion went, although I also realize that maybe it's just to personal to generalize and come up with a basic set that would work. Looking forward to further discussions!

I too am interested in JNS but i find it a bit bewildering.I understand the l.v is hardness but i dont get the other titles like hakka,suita,renge etc.Iwould really appreciate a noobs guide to buying JNS.I have for instance 330.mate has a stone for $20,000 -reallly!! - why?

Dont look to much at titles They are most for collectors who want a stone from particular mine

20 000 USD is very normal in Japan, i have seen some that was much more expensive :D But usually it is not for us knife people. It is for very high end collectors carpenters or sword polishers

I too am interested in JNS but i find it a bit bewildering.I understand the l.v is hardness but i dont get the other titles like hakka,suita,renge etc.Iwould really appreciate a noobs guide to buying JNS.I have for instance 330.mate has a stone for $20,000 -reallly!! - why?

Latest posts

Back