Nakiri recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdnef

Reaction score
Hi there! I'll fill out the questionnaire below, but the short version is that I'm looking for recommendations for a 180-ish nakiri in the sub-$200 range. Your input is appreciated!

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I like the ergonomics of Shun handles, and would like something similar. I'm not crazy about the standard Wusthof grip for this style of knife, but I also don't want a straight circular or octagonal cylinder. Rounded edges are good.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
"Require" is a bit strong, but I don't want it to be ruined if I forget and leave it on the counter for an hour.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Preferably under $200, and preferably including shipping to Canada if it's not available domestically.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

At home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
I'm vegan, so I'm almost exclusively cutting vegetables (slicing, chopping, mincing).

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
An old supermarket-quality Henkel chef's knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push-cut.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Obviously just about anything will be better than what I have now, so I've answered these questions more in terms of the qualities I want as compared to other nakiris.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I would like it to look like it costs as much as it does, but beyond that I'm pretty flexible.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Handle comfort and balance are important - I want that "extension of my arm" feeling.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I want something with a very straight bottom (for less accordioning) and a slight curve at the tip. Again, I like the shape of Shun nakiris - I would probably get one if they were a bit longer. I don't want a nakiri with an aggressive curve - if I did, I'd buy another chef's knife.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
No particular requirement.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Yes.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

I sharpen my knives with a Chef's Choice 4643 manual pull-through sharpener. I am not interested in investing the time and money required to start using stones.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
If you don't have any suggestions that meet my exact criteria, I'd also be interested in suggestions for a 165 mm that you think would be a better choice than the Shun classic.

Thanks guys!

If you're going to stick with the chefs choice sharpener, then dont sink too much into a good knife. That sharpener will not createbthe propper angle or level of finish. Over time your edge will develop too much thickness behind it and the knife will not cut well even if its sharp. Pull-through sharpeners are also known for gradually creating holes or concave sections which will be very noticable on a flat profile knife like a nakiri.

Just get something cheap like a tojiro.

Since you are using a pull through sharpener, i would steer clear of the harder steel choices. In addition, preserving the geometry of the knife will be problematic.

The Gesshin Uraku SKD 165mm nakiri is a nice knife for the money.

Well, poop. Okay, what if I were willing to pay to have it sharpened a couple times a year? It's more important to me to have a decent knife than to be able to sharpen it at home.

I like ChefsChoice sharpeners but if you are going for a decent quality nakiri just try learning to sharpen it your self. The straight edge is easy compared to some blade styles and all you need is a 1200 grit King most of the time.

Okay, maybe I should stop being so lazy and just learn to sharpen a knife. :) Assuming I do, what knife would you recommend?

Murray Carter always has a few on his website. In case you don't know his work (and it's not often mentioned in these parts for some reason. . . ) he's one of the top bladesmiths in the country and specializes in Japanese-style kitchen knives. His knives come in several levels of fit and finish, but even at the least expensive level you're getting a blade, if not a handle, worthy of a professional. He pretty much uses white steel only, typically clad in a stainless jacket. Good luck!

Hmm If you want a 180 nakiri for under 200 maybe try the Konosuke HH 180mm Nakiri. I have the 210 petty of that series which is really good, also you should either learn to sharpen it yourself or get it sharpened for you every month or so.

I did not read the above information because when it comes to nakiri's you buy a Carter.

It's more important to me to have a decent knife than to be able to sharpen it at home.
I would tend to say, it's more important to know how to sharpen a knife, than having a great one. Even a great blade will dull. Learn decent sharpening.

I can't recommend anything at or under $200 that you are just going to destroy in a Chef's Choice. Maybe get a Guy Fieri??? lol

guy.jpg

Sharpening is half the fun of owning . . . well for most of us anyway. Sounds like maybe Ginsu is more up your alley.

Carter's basic twin rivet is just north of 200. Stainless clad. And it's fun to use. Keeping it sharp with a stone (or two) is not rocket science. Keeping it sharper than your Henckels is an easy day.

Regards,

Dave

Not to forget the Watanabe 180 kuro uchi nakiri, blue steel, stainless clad, also around $200 depending on exchange rate.

Stefan

No need to say more on learning how to sharpen.

My recommendation is a Terayasu Fujiwara Nashiji in stainless clad White #1. It's a little thicker, but the forged cladding is stainless and tends to run thicker because it's not ground down after forging leaving the rough finish. Unfortunately, it's about 165mm, the standard nakiri size.

Fujiwara doesn't get enough props here because many of his knives are on the expensive side. Oh yeah. The White #1 gyutos at JCK are identical to the Nashiji line at half the price for any other forum members who think 500 bucks for a 240 gyuto is too much.

I get it, I need to learn how to sharpen. No need to keep beating the dead horse. :) I think I've also decided that I don't necessarily need a 180 - there is a lot more selection at 165, and it's probably perfectly adequate.

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! You've given me so many choices that I'm not really close to a decision, but I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. I just wish there was a store nearby where I could try them all!

In addition to all those that have been mentioned, I have my eye on the Masakage Yuki.

I like the look of the 180mm Zensho Nakiri at JapaneseNaturalStones. Stainless clad blue#2, $170.

A forum member just sold me a 180 Shigefusa kurouchi nakiri - and I ordered some stones to go with it. It wasn't on the list, but I'm assuming that's only because the price for a new one is above my budget. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Back