Quantcast
GRRRRRrrrrrr.... Dang Windows 8 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRRrrrrrr.... Dang Windows 8

Interestingly enough a lot of studies have shown the single greatest increase to productivity on a $ benefit ratio is to add a second monitor to your computer. In our case that means, for example, you can keep KKF open on one monitor and your real work on the other. (Or I suppose email on one and an excel spreadsheet or powerpoint or just a browser on the other...)

Almost any desktop (and essentially all laptops) make it easy to add a second monitor. Windows and MAcs noth allow you to have two independent screens. (You just need to make one change to the display options in the Control Panel for windows)

Monitors are really really cheap now and 2 inexpensive 19-21" monitors will make you more productive then one expensive 24" monitor once you get used to them.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I wasn't going to go there. My comp. has 4 vid. cards on it so that means 8 monitors. Not counting my laptop, that I usually just use with my 1 monitor.
    Chewie's the man.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Interestingly enough a lot of studies have shown the single greatest increase to productivity on a $ benefit ratio is to add a second monitor to your computer. In our case that means, for example, you can keep KKF open on one monitor and your real work on the other. (Or I suppose email on one and an excel spreadsheet or powerpoint or just a browser on the other...)
    OK, bear with me...I'm a computer klutz. How is this better than simply having these things open in different windows, on the same monitor?

its not. But a different mind set.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    its not. But a different mind set.
    Unless you're gaming using the a panoramic immersive view
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

lol well there is that too. But then again just a normal setup really has nothing more to add.
    Chewie's the man.

Having two screens means you do not need to waste a lot of time opening/ closing windows. At our office, some keep AutoCAD open on the big screen, and email, Word, etc. open on the smaller one. And some keep AutoCAD open on the big screen, and Yahoo Games on the smaller one

If you can afford a good 27" monitor, there isn't any difference as a high resolution 27" monitor would have about as many pixels and the same surface area as 2 19" monitors (but not as two 21" monitors) it's about surface area mostly, the pixel resolution is probably less relevant.

But many people are using a laptop as their main machine and for that an extra monitor is really helpful :- )

3 is the best

The ones here that have two monitors have a 22 inch primary and older 17/ 19 inch secondary. I want to rework my home setup to include a 23 and a 19-21, primarily for editing pictures.