Quantcast
GRRRRRrrrrrr.... Dang Windows 8 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRRrrrrrr.... Dang Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Wow, come on man! You guys are getting old. What are you gonna do when the s%$) gets all Minority Report on your a##es?

Unplug and run for the cave.

I have had it for a while and it still is irritating.It is very un-intuative to operate and the apps that i have tried are shocking.I will try the windows7 shell so thanks for the tip.P.S. my 13 year old hates it so it isnt just old age.

Windows 8.1 is coming soon, should make things more like windows 7

All you have to do in Win8 is go to the Desktop. Put your shortcuts there and on the taskbar. No need to ever use the app screen, and when you boot up into it just click on the Desktop app button to get to a real interface. To turn it off you can still ctl-alt-del to bring up the menu. or click to the app screen and click on your user name in the upper right corner.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    This thread couldn't be more timely for me. I've been putting off the new computer I've been looking to buy, for a couple months. After watching a few basic instruction vids, I find it scary as hell. The idea that I can make it act like Win 7 is encouraging. You guys who are critical of us technoklutzes can bite it. There's more to life than figuring out yet ANOTHER gadget.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    burn it down!
    Chewie's the man.

I don't get the whole idea of win 8. Don't they already have "app" on the computer, didn't they used to call it a shortcut? My boss told me about 8.1 and I said I still won't move over just because of the whole "app" thing.

Btw I can see why using a app on a phone is useful, but not on a computer.
    Chewie's the man.

Well this is my area of expertise for a change :- ). The two programs I install for people who hate windows 8 (which is pretty much everybody who doesn't have a touch screen) are

Start8 (free to try: $5 and well worth it, my favorite) http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp
    Classic Shell (free and pretty darn good) http://www.classicshell.net/

Windows 8.1 whose preview was just released at the Msft Build conference allows you to boot into the Windows desktop and sort of brings back a half fast version of the classic start menu. The preview is available for downloading here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download

Im glad my frustration and lack of computer skills was at all helpful! Thanks for the links gic. I went with the classic shell and its working good.

Most important to me was being able to transfer all my photos and other important stuff.

Now I have 2 computers on my desk both running and connected to the net. Its like the HHH command center on my desk! You know, watching net flix on one screen and looking at KKF on the other!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Do it like that all the time. Altho I usually watch while I play wow (or other mind numbing game) or read kkf.
    Chewie's the man.

+ Reply to Thread