Quantcast
Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

Not to be a bother but could someone give an example of what a lateral cut is in this context?
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Slicing the horizontal slice in an onion whilst dicing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    My Heijis are some of the best lateral cutters I have, so I am not sure convexing the tip will be better or significantly different.
    On Heiji where bevels converge about 25mm behind the tip, thickness is about 2mm. That's pretty thick, so you got to apply some pressure to push the tip through the food in lateral cuts unless you are cutting soft stuff primarily like onions or cuts are very shallow.

The very tip is super thin, but it gets progressively thicker after 5-6mm or so.

I am not saying it is impossible. I am just trying to understand why some users find sword geometry perform poorly on lateral cuts, and some find quite the opposite.

Please elaborate.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    On Heiji where bevels converge about 25mm behind the tip, thickness is about 2mm. That's pretty thick, so you got to apply some pressure to push the tip through the food in lateral cuts unless you are cutting soft stuff primarily like onions or cuts are very shallow.

The very tip is super thin, but it gets progressively thicker after 5-6mm or so.

I am not saying it is impossible. I am just trying to understand why some users find sword geometry perform poorly on lateral cuts, and some find quite the opposite.

Please elaborate.

M
    Convex doesn't have the ridge the way sword grind has, so even it's not shallow (like Kato for instance) it still encounters less resistance in lateral cuts.

This is what I observed trying both, Heiji and Kato, but I don't cut enough to have a good feel for it, so your input is very helpful.

Sword grind is one of the 3 grinds for a heavy workhorse that I would like to try to understand better. Geometry-wise I am there, but I still need to figure out (with your help) if some things of the original geometry can be improved, like the tip.

M

Waiting patiently for Mizuno honyaki to arrive so I can try a third type (the last of the 3)

Left and Right hand use knives with an asymmetric grind. Right-hand blade has the bevel on the insider blended, while the left-hand blade,polished. Both knives will weigh about 290g with handles. 52100,63Rc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0546.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	19911

Name:	DSC_0548.jpg
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	19912

Name:	DSC_0547.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	19913

Target geometry

Name:	Asymmetric.jpg
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	19914

Very interesting knife, glad to see any news about this knife.

As grandfather Lenin says: - practice practice and one more practice.

man, i don't even have my custom "normal" gyuto, but looking at this thread already makes me want to have the next one... i think i have a serious problem!!!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Waiting patiently for Mizuno honyaki to arrive so I can try a third type (the last of the 3)
    I was hoping you got someone to send one to you. (from the States).
    Chewie's the man.

Yep, waiting for it to arrive. Not a big deal, as I am channeling all my attention on sword grind geometry.

+ Reply to Thread