Quantcast
Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

I must have missed this one as well. I'd give it a fair go.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

This is a first prototype. There will be at least 1-2 more - sometimes it does take that long to come with a good knife andto figure out an efficient way of making it.

I will spread it around. folks. The next will be tested in US.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko, if this prototype is coming to Australia, I'd be keen to have a look at it as well. This is a super interesting project.

I would say, let's keep the expectation low on this project (this first knife). I am just beginning to study this type of geometry and it will take me a while before I understand it enough to come up with a good knife. I will however work with the pro guys in trying to improve this geometry to get most of this type, so passarounds are definitely in the plans.

Also, remember, there will be two more geometries coming up - heavy convex (Kato) and asymmetric (Mizuno). There will be plenty to go around.

Based on the feedback, I will probably select one for my heavy chef's knife, but will try all of them to gain a better understanding.

M

Awesome move!

secured and I'll smoke this theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    One thing I don't love about Heiji style grind is where the shinogi meets the spine it usually thickens up quite quickly, which can cause wedging/stopping in tip work like brunoise onion, would it be possible to transition from wide bevel to blended face Say 3 inches from the tip without looking ridiculous/ being impossible to maintain? Something like this but without the upsweep being a "crisp" line
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I don't know if this is not how it's supposed to be done, but this is actually how I thin my Yoshihiro gyuto. I really like my Heiji even for onion brunoise, but the Yoshihiro was just too thick at the tip. I started thinning it the way your pictures shows and it's improved the performance a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I don't know if this is not how it's supposed to be done, but this is actually how I thin my Yoshihiro gyuto. I really like my Heiji even for onion brunoise, but the Yoshihiro was just too thick at the tip. I started thinning it the way your pictures shows and it's improved the performance a lot.
    I do the same to all of my knives.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    It's how a lot of custom makers do their knives. If you think about it its kind of intuitive, if you have the metal to work with to get it done properly. It absolutely increases the utility of the tip, at the cost of reducing stiffness some. For myself I prefer the utility .

I know your picture wasn't the same Marko, but its definitely wider than most of the production knives I've seen out there...that's why I made the comparison . I have always loved looking at your work. Definitely inspirational!
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

I cut more today with the knife and think that to make the tip the versatile, it needs to be ground a bit thinner and full convex, while the rest of the geometry should be similar to Heiji. That's what I am going to do and see how it is received.

M

+ Reply to Thread