Quantcast
Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

Huw, I getcha. I've just heard some people say "thinning a Kato", and I was a bit confused by what people mean when they write this. Katos are still very highly regarded as a "cult following" type of knife, which makes me assume they must be great cutters off the hop. My only experience with one is a 180 petty, and it's very nice.
    So, back to the grind; It sounds like a long, pronounced secondary bevel is well liked when it leads up to nice convexing on a heavy blade(?)
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Convex is basically two angles blended, so to replicate convex while thinning on the stones, you need to cut two bevels.

Single beveled knives appeared flat on the bevels, but in reality they are convex with the factory grind.

Now, my last question about Heiji grind, do you guys think there might be an advantage lifting the bevel at the heel a little bit, approaching the width to that near the tip?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Prototype 1.0

Need to tune the bevels on the stone a little bit and to do a basic polish and out it goes for testing.

Cut some apples and peaches at home. Food separation was very good. Now need to hear from experts who who have used Heiji. Version 1.1 will incorporate all suggestions. Then version 1.2, 1.3 and so on until no improvements are needed.

This knife (225mm) with handle will weigh about 255g.

M

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0560.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	18608

Awesome. Are you using the same size blanks just with less grinding? Or are these thicker?

I use blanks 3.4mm thick. Heiji is about 4.5mm thick at the handle, and about 4mm over the heel, but half way, 2" from the tip, midsection, the measurements and weight of both knives are comparable. I see no point using thicker stock and grinding most of it off, just to get the same thickness as Heiji at the handle.

52100 steel on this one.

M

Who uses Heiji in a pro kitchen regularly? Preferably in continental US.

Anybody?

Your constant striving for improvement is amazing

There would be no fun in knife making if everything just fell in my lap. Little progress makes me happy.

Another great project. This style knife has been often praised and talked about, but always with a veil of magic or mystery. It's fun to see the logical, deliberate, scientific approach.

I like how you created the 3 different categories too.

You're correct that There really is no real benefit to the super-thick section right in front of the handle, but it sure does add to the cool factor -almost like an integral bolster. So when do you move to a shop with a forge?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Another great project. This style knife has been often praised and talked about, but always with a veil of magic or mystery. It's fun to see the logical, deliberate, scientific approach.

I like how you created the 3 different categories too.

You're correct that There really is no real benefit to the super-thick section right in front of the handle, but it sure does add to the cool factor -almost like an integral bolster. So when do you move to a shop with a forge?
    The only benefit I could think of is the added weight if a person was to use the heel area for splitting. that might be something to consider given that in these knives heel area is underutilized.

Still waiting for electricity upgrade, so I can move in the direction of in-house blank cutting and salt pods. Those would be my priority for now.

M

+ Reply to Thread