Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

heh, I was just (half) joking about the forge.... just want to be first in line for the Tsourkan integral bolster

Seriously though, i cant imagine the few grams of extra weight just in front of the handle would have a noticeable difference. Even comfort-wise the area that you'd ever actually be pushing on is far enough fwd that it's down to the same thickness of the stock that you're using.

Now if you're taking about making that even thicker and extending the thick section out to further over the heel... well that might be interesting...

Where is the current "sweet spot" on your alpha test blade? One of the things that I thought was really "off" with many of the heavy gyuto's I've used was that the profile was not well-matched to where the blade naturally wanted to contact the board first due to it's blade-fwd balance.
    Properly tuning the profile to the balance or vica-versa is, IMO, one of the areas for greatest improvement in the "heavy gyuto" world. You could gird it close and then fine-tune it using the handle weight / adjusting the thickness of an end-cap.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

One thing I don't love about Heiji style grind is where the shinogi meets the spine it usually thickens up quite quickly, which can cause wedging/stopping in tip work like brunoise onion, would it be possible to transition from wide bevel to blended face Say 3 inches from the tip without looking ridiculous/ being impossible to maintain? Something like this but without the upsweep being a "crisp" line
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I really like where this might go...

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    One thing I don't love about Heiji style grind is where the shinogi meets the spine it usually thickens up quite quickly, which can cause wedging/stopping in tip work like brunoise onion, would it be possible to transition from wide bevel to blended face Say 3 inches from the tip without looking ridiculous/ being impossible to maintain? Something like this but without the upsweep being a "crisp" line
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well, there seem to be no takers in the US (testers), I guess, I will consider sending the prototype to Australia. Huw, are you up for it? I need to think a little bit about how to make the grind change you proposed.

It could probably be a multi-zone heavy chef's - thinner tip for fine work, thicker heel for splitting and the rest of the edge for a very good food separation.

Anyway, back to my regular work. Won't attempt version 1.1 until receive feedback on version 1, probably a month+ away.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yeah I'd absolutely be up for it! I'd be honored
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

You got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I think Marko's prototype already utilizes this to some extent, if you look at the pictures.

He is talking about 3", that's longer than I have it on the prototype. For efficient tip use, I might need to push the convex a bit further back. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

I totally missed this, I regularly use a heiji in a pro kitchen in the US. If you are looking for testers, I would be pleased and honored.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Well, there seem to be no takers in the US (testers), I guess, I will consider sending the prototype to Australia. Huw, are you up for it? I need to think a little bit about how to make the grind change you proposed.

It could probably be a multi-zone heavy chef's - thinner tip for fine work, thicker heel for splitting and the rest of the edge for a very good food separation.

Anyway, back to my regular work. Won't attempt version 1.1 until receive feedback on version 1, probably a month+ away.

M
    Well, Marko... as long as you're willing to ship to my part of the globe, I'll have a go at it as well.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter