Quantcast
Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

I have a standing offer from overseas, but hopefully could find one closer to home.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Next heavy chef's will come with a Western handle and Kato geometry. 225mm lengh on the edge.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Can't wait to see you do a western handle!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Hey Marko, your box is full, I may have what your looking for. It's not overseas, but there still is a border to cross sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by cookinstuff View Post
    Hey Marko, your box is full, I may have what your looking for. It's not overseas, but there still is a border to cross sadly.
    I will shoot you an email.

-Niels Bohr

In one of the discussions I had with a pro and an avid user of heavy knives, he mentioned that the profile of Japanese heavy gyutos - more curve and slight rounding at the heel is to compensate blade-heavy blade. I thought about it and decided to limit a size of a heavy chef's and to add some weight to the handle to make the knife balance at the handle or slightly forward. This way I can keep the profile identical my lighter knives. The lengh will be limited to 225-240mm and the blade will be usable along the whole lengh (including heel).

I will make both D and Western handle versions. Have an interesting design (partially inspired by Devin's) in my head, though overall it will not be a departure from my current style. More soon.

M

-Niels Bohr

I saw in another thread in my sub-forum that the preference seems to be for 240-270mm heavy gyuto. I am curious as to why?

In that length, particularly in 270mm, the balance point will be quite forward, that size would also require a large work area.How much advantage would 240-270mm have over 225mm?

Input is always much appreciated.

M

-Niels Bohr

Most pro kitchens utilize 18x24 boards, which can accomodate a longer blade. The longer, heavier blade does more of the work for you, and allows one to process larger amounts of product at one time. Probably my biggest gripe with the kato, was the belly to tip transition. Too too much belly, and the tip is more upswept than I care for.
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Most pro kitchens utilize 18x24 boards, which can accomodate a longer blade. The longer, heavier blade does more of the work for you, and allows one to process larger amounts of product at one time. Probably my biggest gripe with the kato, was the belly to tip transition. Too too much belly, and the tip is more upswept than I care for.
    +10
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    +10
    So a blade heavy knife won't be much of a problem? I would typically make a larger handle and add some weight to the handle but balancing a 240-270mm heavy chef's at the handle is a challenge.

-Niels Bohr

+ Reply to Thread