Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

Looks good M.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Western handle is next.
    The Western handle is going to have a brass or bronze tip, no contrasting ferrule (only D will have that), but might have a contrasting end cup. Coca-cola shape, hook, and hidden tang structure.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The handle in the picture looks particularly long. Are they made long in this case to offset the weight of the blade, or is it an optical illusion from the angle of the picture?

It might be the picture, as the handle is about 5.75" long or even tad shorter. I am still undecided whether to angle the butt or not, so final pictures will show a completed handle.

Bear in mind that this is not a Western handle, but a D for a Western knife.

This handle was a first-try to test the process (actually, an experimental geometry on the blade too), and I already made notes how I am going to do a next one. I wasn't sure if I should leave the chamfer on the tip or blend it (didn't do a great job on that), but this will get fixed on the subsequent handles.d

One thing that is not captured in the pictures is that this handle is incredible comfortable for both pinch grip and handle hold.

Very Classy Marko!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I like that alot Marko!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Looks fantastic Marko

Thank you.

Now that I got a taste of how a Western handle is made, I feel pretty confident about making one.

M

225mm heavy chef's knife in 52100, 62-63RC hardness. 245g. Handle - cocobolo, blackwood nickel silver.

Attachment 18739

Attachment 18738
    I think I got enough feedback for the version 1.0 to attempt a version 2.0. This one will feature a slightly thinner geometry in the first 1/3 of the blade (from the heel on), but other than that, it's going to be similar to 1.0 except for the handle.

I am going to do this in a target lengh for a heavy chef - 250-255mm (on the edge), and with a Western handle.

I am also going to run an experiment on edge stability. Currently I have a blank in 52100 and a blank in A2 in 255-260mm, both 3.5mm thick. A2 is about 64Rc after tempering and 52100 is about 63.5RC. Either is a point harder than I heat treat my knives, but for the sake of an experiment, I am going to grind them to about .10mm at the edge, and do a flex test on some dense stuff (but with a little give), like a brass rod or 1/4" tropical hard wood strip. It runs like this - you press an edge on the rod or narrow strip of wood on an angle and make the edge flex. If a flex results in chipping, the edge is unstable, and hardness needs to be brought down. I doubt that the edge will roll at that hardness, so I am only testing for chipping. Will report on the results after the test.

M

Hopefully this will be completed before Sunday, as Sunday I might be visiting a pro kitchen (I would not call it apprenticeship yet, but hopefully will lead to frequent visits and work in the pro environment with some of the pro guys in the tri-state area). I am very excited.

M

+ Reply to Thread