Quantcast
Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 17
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

that sounds like a really cool opportunity, Marko.

I have been looking for this for a while, but folks who can give me an opportunity to visit and work there a little bit are far away from me and I don't drive (though I am making baby steps in that direction). I hope that over time I can dedicated a day a week just for that.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

255mm (on the edge) "sword" grind heavy workhorse gyuto in 52100 for a left-hand user. Weight with handle will be around 275-290g. Thickness at the spine 3.4mm, half way 2.5mm, 50mm from the tip - 2mm. Thickness at shinogi line heel to tip - about 2mm. The knife will either have a hybrid D, or a Western handle.

I am likely to convex the tip on this knife, as it will improve lateral cuts. Another thing, I find it time consuming to finish primary bevel on the stones (this is 63.5RC hard steel), so I would probably finish/blend the bevels with sand paper, and leave it the customer to spend time and make the shinogi line crisp or leave the finish as is. The underlying geometry will not changed, so the performance won't be affected.

I come to think that the bevel on the left side is slightly more prominent than on the right, so I think this knife will be more suitable for a "lefty". I will grind one for a "rightly" today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0578.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	19871

Name:	DSC_0577.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	19872

looks nice!

I will post heel shots of two knives over the weekend.

M

I'm a lefty! Pick me.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I am going to put a hybrid D handle on this knife. Cocobolo with a brass tip and blackwood endcap. Mulling about angling the butt on this handle.

M

Asymmetrically ground for a right-hand use. Western, Wa, or Hybrid D handle.
    52100, 255mm on the edge. Other specs are coming tomorrow.

Name:	20131101_205326.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	19891

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I am likely to convex the tip on this knife, as it will improve lateral cuts.
    My Heijis are some of the best lateral cutters I have, so I am not sure convexing the tip will be better or significantly different.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    My Heijis are some of the best lateral cutters I have, so I am not sure convexing the tip will be better or significantly different.
    same.