Quantcast
Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project - Page 21
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Chef's Knife - A New Project

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I am also going to do another in a geometry similar to Heiji in 52100 and that one is likely to go to Australia for a second round of testing.

M
    Giggity
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

OK, this one is on the way to Minnesota via USPS Express Mail for tomorrow delivery. Let's hope it will get there, as I am very anxious to hear about its performance.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The eagle has landed.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    The eagle has landed.
    Oh has it?!?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    The eagle has landed.
    Write up and pictures of said eagle required effective immediately..
    Talk to me goose!

I am very anxious to hear about this knife's performance. I haven't ground a knife in this geometry ever before. The 250mm knife is 275g heavy, no flex on the spine, is blade heavy, just what a heavy work horse should be, I guess.

I incorporated features into this knife's geometry that I came to like from several knives that made an impression on me. I think it's a good knife for what it is - heavy prep work, where weight of the knife is used to finish the cut.

I was running late (surprise) and didn't have time to take pictures, so they might come from the tester, or might not.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Here is a quick and dirty phone pic. I actually shot a couple of videos but can't figure out how to get them posted. I am working on it.

Initial impressions have been very good. The size, heft and balance are what I look for in a knife of this type. The balance point is at the very front of my index finger when in a full pinch grip. Wednesday the knife cut very well, even without a finished edge on it. Today with an edge (Gesshin 2k, red aoto, naked felt) it performed well on a shift of mostly fish and meat butchering. The edge was still very good after cleaning and portioning 25# of fish and 45# of fatty beef. It seems I have only scratched the surface on the edge retention evaluation. The grind is a good blend of thin enough to cut well but robust enough to not worry. The handle is substantial. It fills my large hands well and is on the longer side, probably to zero in the superb balance. The knife inspires confidence and the steel feels ready for war.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

At first I thought the first tester knife with no neck was a little odd...and I used it and it was fine...before I knew it I didn't even notice it. Now that I see this one...I think I prefer it with the choked up handle, ferrule right behind the heel.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+1
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Where was the balance point with no machi?