Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this need thinning?

Does this need thinning?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already. Singatirin honyaki sujihiki closer to 290 than 270. Marvelous knife in all respects except it wedges a bit with harder foods. With my mediocre sharpening skills I'm hesitant to try thinning a honyaki.

Approximates:
    Width of Spine at Handle- 3,6 mm
    Width of Spine Above Heel- 3,3mm
    Width of Spine at Middle- 1,9mm
    Width of Spine 1cm from the tip- 1 mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	16387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1544.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	16388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1545.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	16389
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Excuse my ignorance but is thinning a honyaki harder or more difficult than a different type of knife? I thought it would be the same.

It is actually much thinner behind the edge then most of the Sujikis i have sold. Shigefusa Kato Yoshikane etc
    But if you want to thin it, it is not super hard Honyaki to thin.

Also it may help you just to put bit lower angle on the bevel it self

Maxim,
    I gotta tell you how great this knife is and what a bargain the Singatrins seem to be. My wondering about thinning is because there is some wedging that wouldn't be expected given how sharp the edge is.

Are you talking about a micro bevel?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Yeah or actual bevel, i think just drop micro bevel and go for regular edge on it
    If you need any help let me know !

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but is thinning a honyaki harder or more difficult than a different type of knife? I thought it would be the same.
    A honyaki blade is made with a single steel. When you thin non-honyaki blades you're mostly removing soft cladding material, when you thin a honyaki blade it's all hardened steel.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Thanks Maxim. I'm figuring you sharpened it before sending it out, or else my sharpening just sucks compared to what Singatirin put on it. So, I'm not inclined to mess with the edge much at all.

Not that it matters much, but what is the steel and hardness on the Singatrins?

Edited to add: I checked out the choil shots of your Shigefusa Kasumi and Yosihide yo suji's and damned if they aren't thicker behind the edge than my Singatirin!?

I think for sure that Singatirin is thinner behind the edge then Shig or Kato. But biggest difference is that there is micro bevel on Singatirin but not on Shig or Kato

I have sharpened it before i shipped it out but i just maintained the same edge I always do.
    I think they put micro bevel on it so user can self decide what kind of Angle he want his edge

Then I'll most likely leave it as it is. It glides through meat and can get paper-thin cuts. It can even do this:

I'll try and make a video of the Singitirin. The fit and finish is outstanding and I can see why you and Jon like burned chestnut handles.