D. Martell HELL KNIFE

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I have a Artisan gyuto that I bought used a couple of years ago. It was bought to be a line knife and treated like my beast of burden. I practised sharpening on it, other guys borrowed it and did the same. I can't tell you how bad it had been abused.

On a whim, I sent the knife to Dave.

What came back was a totally different knife. When I got it I called Dave to see if he had made a mistake...like a smart man who probably gotten this call before, didn't answer! It had been thinned and reprofiled. Sharpened and the cladding cleaned up.

With the board and and everything else Dave doing these days, I forgot how awesome Dave is at sharpening and fixing knives. This thing is amazing!

Thanks again Dave!

Pesky

That artisan has been through a lot. Dave did something similar for me once. It is almost like getting a new knife.

Yeah, Dave knows his sh!t. What he did to my Watanabe still amazes me. And what he did to that kiteaji yanagi I sold makes me sick that I sold it.

I'd like to say this one was fun but it wasn't. :D

Thanks for the kind words though guys. :)

Sorry no pics but Dave will attest a true ugly ducking. I'm having problems w my phone pictures.

Pesky

Hey Judd, did you notice the handle smooth over job? I couldn't take the tang grinding my palm so I went and smoothed it out and then went back to work on the blade.

That artisan has been through a lot. Dave did something similar for me once. It is almost like getting a new knife.

This was the knife you sold me! If you saw it now...it really is a thing of beauty!

Pesky

Hey Judd, did you notice the handle smooth over job? I couldn't take the tang grinding my palm so I went and smoothed it out and then went back to work on the blade.

So much better than I had hoped!

Pesky

Ahhhh ha! So Matt was involved with this knife? That explains a lot. :lol2:

What does that mean????? Wow dave really! Really?!?! I will say that knife got used and used by me. And I am much better at sharpening now than I was then.

What does that mean????? Wow dave really! Really?!?! I will say that knife got used and used by me. And I am much better at sharpening now than I was then.

Trust me it wasn't you. I made the mistake of sending the knife to a kramer sharpening disciple. Blade and tip came back a mess. He also polished the cladding for me(THANKS!). I just threw it in a drawer and forgot about it until I sent it to Dave.

Pesky

Dude! I should have put in a tongue sticking out smilie or something? I was just pulling your leg -you know I love ya Matt. :D

I made the mistake of sending the knife to a kramer sharpening disciple. Blade and tip came back a mess. He also polished the cladding for me(THANKS!)...
What on earth possessed you to do that?

:cool2:I know you were kidding dave but I still had to take a shot back at ya:sarcastic:

"Kramer sharpening disciple"? I am completely unfamiliar. Does Kramer have some unique sharpening procedure or something?

After chef, before knife maker he used to run his own mobile sharpening service. He's trained people over the years to run there own sharpening vans. Resume good/skills not so much....

Pesky

Ah, now I see. Serves you right. :poke1:

Latest posts

Back