Quantcast
WTB: Gude bread knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Gude bread knife

I dont see why you want this one over the tojiro. I prefer the looks of a japanese knife over a german any day. And its not really a cheap date for what it is.... I bought a shun bread knife from a coworker for 20 bucks. I guess I got pretty lucky with the price considering the shuns are 185 dollar knives. But the tojiro just gets such good reviews. I don't think that if I were to buy one today I would consider anything but the tojiro.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

If I didn't have the Guede in 240 and in 320 I would also buy a Tojiro Since most (I know, not all...) American breads are to real bread what Velveeta is to cheese, any old bread knife will do.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    If I didn't have the Guede in 240 and in 320 I would also buy a Tojiro

Stefan
    hahahahahaha
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    I dont see why you want this one over the tojiro. I prefer the looks of a japanese knife over a german any day. And its not really a cheap date for what it is.... I bought a shun bread knife from a coworker for 20 bucks. I guess I got pretty lucky with the price considering the shuns are 185 dollar knives. But the tojiro just gets such good reviews. I don't think that if I were to buy one today I would consider anything but the tojiro.
    The thing that I didnt mention before is that on softer breads, a long gyuto or suji with a toothy edge works almost as well as the ITK, so i could easily make the argument that the only time that you really have anything close to an actual NEED for a bread knife is when youre cutting bread that is too armored for the tojiro anyway.

But really all of these arguments are stupid. If we only bought knives that we really needed or where the most economical, most of the knives frequently discussed on here would not exist, thered be no customs or custom handles and the kkf world would be a very borring place.

Just be glad that you're content with the shun and have been spared this particular craving for something ridiculous and awesome. Sharks wearing jetpacks are not for everyone either...
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I just feel like the gude isn't that cool? Is it the performance of it? or the aesthetics that you like?

I remember when I got my first job on the line, the saute cook had a wood handled really awesome japanese bread knife that he used a lot. I was always very envious of that and always wanted to get my hands on one. When my coworker popped up with a shun one for so cheap I jumped on it because it was close in aesthetics to the one I had seen my friend using before.

I am honestly really unhappy with the shun and have been thinking about trying out a tojiro. Although I don't use a bread knife very often at work so spending money on one over any other knife right now seems pretty silly to me.

just wanted to pick your brain a little

I have been using my Sun bread knife for years with no issues, I have always wants to try a Gude, ever since Dave posted a pic of his.

Gude is to bread knives what Vitamix is to blenders.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I MMMMUUUSSSSTTT HAVE ONE!
    They are so badass and chunky. I feel like I could saw down the cherry tree in my front yard and then cut a super-thick crusted Italian loaf afterward.
    The damascus one is so freaking unicorn.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon