• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Gude bread knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashae

Reaction score
I admit, I want to try one of the Gude bread swords. Anyone have one they might part with? I'd be up for partial-trading a MAC bread knife if you're interested...

I also looked for one of these for years...
It's the most absurd knife I own. It's funny that the best zombie weapon in my kitchen is a bread knife.

It's a very specialized knife though: it really only shines on very heavily armored breads. For probably 90% of baked goods, the tojiro ITK bread knife cuts noticeably better -not to mention it's much kinder to the cutting board.

Still, I gave my ITK away when I finally found a Gude 2 handed breadsword, because more practical or not, I knew it would not see much use.

I don't think that I'll ever sell mine, but I'd do a pass around... you 2 would certainly have spots on the list once I get my act together and start the thread.

I also looked for one of these for years...
It's the most absurd knife I own. It's funny that the best zombie weapon in my kitchen is a bread knife.

It's a very specialized knife though: it really only shines on very heavily armored breads. For probably 90% of baked goods, the tojiro ITK bread knife cuts noticeably better -not to mention it's much kinder to the cutting board.

Still, I gave my ITK away when I finally found a Gude 2 handed breadsword, because more practical or not, I knew it would not see much use.

I don't think that I'll ever sell mine, but I'd do a pass around... you 2 would certainly have spots on the list once I get my act together and start the thread.
Yep don't own a bread knife, so if I did it would be the 32cm one just because.

I mean how cool are these things?!?

crazy expensive damascus:
DA-7431-32.png

venezian gondola posts:
V431-32.png

black:
1431-32.png

olive:
7431-32.png

barrel oak:
E431-32.png

pear:
B431-32.png

I got one here:

http://www.messer-art.de/epages/624...7631/Products/"7431/32"/SubProducts/"7431/32"

Avail in 240 mm and the mother of all bread knives, 320mm. A couple of handle options. Shipping to US took approx a month.

I bought my 240 mm Franz Gude bread knife in 2008 for $65 from Lehman's in Ohio. It's still in stock but now $80.

I know a lot of guys are in awe of the mammoth 320 mm size, but with knives that are actually used, practicality plays a role and I've never wished for a longer version.

https://www.lehmans.com/showProduct.aspx?SEName=our-best-knives-by-franz-gude&ProductID=1158

I dont see why you want this one over the tojiro. I prefer the looks of a japanese knife over a german any day. And its not really a cheap date for what it is.... I bought a shun bread knife from a coworker for 20 bucks. I guess I got pretty lucky with the price considering the shuns are 185 dollar knives. But the tojiro just gets such good reviews. I don't think that if I were to buy one today I would consider anything but the tojiro.

If I didn't have the Guede in 240 and in 320 I would also buy a Tojiro :) Since most (I know, not all...) American breads are to real bread what Velveeta is to cheese, any old bread knife will do. :D

Stefan

I dont see why you want this one over the tojiro. I prefer the looks of a japanese knife over a german any day. And its not really a cheap date for what it is.... I bought a shun bread knife from a coworker for 20 bucks. I guess I got pretty lucky with the price considering the shuns are 185 dollar knives. But the tojiro just gets such good reviews. I don't think that if I were to buy one today I would consider anything but the tojiro.

The thing that I didnt mention before is that on softer breads, a long gyuto or suji with a toothy edge works almost as well as the ITK, so i could easily make the argument that the only time that you really have anything close to an actual NEED for a bread knife is when youre cutting bread that is too armored for the tojiro anyway.

But really all of these arguments are stupid. If we only bought knives that we really needed or where the most economical, most of the knives frequently discussed on here would not exist, thered be no customs or custom handles and the kkf world would be a very borring place.

Just be glad that you're content with the shun and have been spared this particular craving for something ridiculous and awesome. Sharks wearing jetpacks are not for everyone either...

I just feel like the gude isn't that cool? Is it the performance of it? or the aesthetics that you like?

I remember when I got my first job on the line, the saute cook had a wood handled really awesome japanese bread knife that he used a lot. I was always very envious of that and always wanted to get my hands on one. When my coworker popped up with a shun one for so cheap I jumped on it because it was close in aesthetics to the one I had seen my friend using before.

I am honestly really unhappy with the shun and have been thinking about trying out a tojiro. Although I don't use a bread knife very often at work so spending money on one over any other knife right now seems pretty silly to me.

just wanted to pick your brain a little:knife:

I have been using my Sun bread knife for years with no issues, I have always wants to try a Gude, ever since Dave posted a pic of his.

I MMMMUUUSSSSTTT HAVE ONE!
They are so badass and chunky. I feel like I could saw down the cherry tree in my front yard and then cut a super-thick crusted Italian loaf afterward.
The damascus one is so freaking unicorn.

Back