Quantcast
What About Kiritsuke
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What About Kiritsuke

What About Kiritsuke

As of late the kiritsuke style of knife seems to be popping up more in kitchens that me and my friends work in. I have also noticed that there are starting to be more manufactures making single and double bevel versions of the kiritsuke now. What do you think the reasons is for this? Also what are the real advantages and disadvantages of that style of knife?

because it is one of the better looking shapes out there, maybe not as functional as a standard gyuto IMHO, but it looks so dam nice.

I have a 240 Yoshikane kiritsuke/gyuto and like it very much. The main advantage is that it has a much flatter profile then regular gyutos making it very efficient at straight chopping and push cutting. The main disadvantage is that it has a much flatter profile then regular gyutos, making it less efficient slicing veggies or raw meats, and don't even think about rock chopping

Oh, and they look cool as sh%t
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I have a Kono HD 270 kiritsuke gyuto and it's a killer knife. Very thin, great profile and great steel. I find the tip to be very agile when breaking down cuts of meat pre and post cooking. The Kono has enough belly to it that I don't have a problem processing veg with it at all.

Oh yeah and as mentioned - it looks cool as sh*t

Here's mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    I have a Kono HD 270 kiritsuke gyuto and it's a killer knife. Very thin, great profile and great steel. I find the tip to be very agile when breaking down cuts of meat pre and post cooking. The Kono has enough belly to it that I don't have a problem processing veg with it at all.
    Ok, probably should have been a little more specific. I think it works great for things like cutting a rib roast into steaks or a pork loin into chops. What I think it doesn't do as well as a regular gyuto is cubing up less firm meats like poultry or loose, fatty pork (mmmmm...pork )where you find yourself in contact with the board for the whole slice. Oh, and my knife skills still suck, so that may have something to do with it. As to veggies, ok, I've never had any problems with slicing veggies either but I wanted to throw something in there to make all the non-kiritsuke owning wretches feel better about their knives
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Sponsors
    can we just as a rule call this kind of knife kiritsuke-shaped wa-gyuto which is what it really is... i think calling it kiritsuke (which it is not) leads to a lot of unnecessary confusion for many

I second that. A kiritsuke-shaped gyuto is exactly that - a gyuto with a different profile and a cool-looking tip. A single-bevel kiritsuke is a different beast, arguably cooler than a kiritsuke-gyuto (hey, I'm biased on this one!) but it isn't made to do what a gyuto is asked to do in the kitchen.
    Len

Here's some fun math...

Usuba + Yanagiba = Kiritsuke

Kiritsuke = Single Bevel Knife

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    The kiritsuke tipped gyuto looks cool and functions well too. I find the flat edge and pointed tip to be more "fine dice" friendly than a lot of standard gyutos. The K-tipyuto isn't very rock-chop friendly, it just all depends on your style/technique
    I think we all need to adopt some new kind of name for the Kiritsuke tip gyuto, to alleviate the confusion of calling it a Kiritsuke. They are only similar in the shape of the tip.
    I suggest:
    Kiritsukyuto
    Kiritipi-yuto
    Gyutokitsuke
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Sponsors
    honestly, its commonly called either kiritsuke-shaped gyuto or wa-kiritsuke among craftsmen i speak with in Japan (its a recent design too)

+ Reply to Thread