Quantcast
What's Your Favorite Hobo Packet for the Grill?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Hobo Packet for the Grill?

What's Your Favorite Hobo Packet for the Grill?

I've been doing mushroom packets lately and love them. I just get a mix of mushrooms (about a pound -- 3 different 5 oz. containers). I toss with salt, pepper, ground rosemary, and 3 tbs of olive oil. Divide it in two onto two parchment paper lined foil squares, then put a crushed garlic clove on each and seal the packets. Cook on the grill for 20 minutes.

I got it off the internet, but it works.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

This is the Americano version of steaming in leaves. Fish, tomatoes, and chilies.

Inherited from my Dad: Sliced new potatoes with Wishbone Italian dressing, salt and pepper.

For a side, root veggies. Beets, rutabagas, carrots, sometimes yams. Salt, pepper, olive oil. Will do it today maybe, with a moose roast, also in foil with S&P rosemary,garlic cloves, red wine. All day, low and slow.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    For a side, root veggies. Beets, rutabagas, carrots, sometimes yams. Salt, pepper, olive oil. Will do it today maybe, with a moose roast, also in foil with S&P rosemary,garlic cloves, red wine. All day, low and slow.
    Awesome, but I would think about adding some maple syrup to that packet too.

Michigan potatoes sliced, green, red and yellow bell peppers cut into strips about 1/2" wide . mushrooms (whatever is in season).. sliced Zucchini. onion, garlic, and salt, pepper and oil. And whatever steak seasoning you have on hand.

Often this is enough for a meal as it is. But pair with a pork tenderloin spiced up nice and cooked on the grill slow and low wrapped in a few layers of foil makes for a FEAST!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

In boy scouts we used to do hobo dinners. Carrots potatoes onions and ground beef patties. It was awesome I cant lie, I do them about once a year or so for nostalgia and because they are just plain good. We always did them on the campfire coals.

Yup - small potatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, a dried chili or two, olive oil and if in season corn cut from the cob. Toss in some olive oil and some MoTone "Road Salt" and black pepper then wrap in a double layer of foil and you are good to grill.

Years ago I had a "hillbilly" neighbor who used to come over and she made "hobo stew" on top of my wood stove. I don't recall what all was in it, but it always made for a delicious evening.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    In boy scouts we used to do hobo dinners. Carrots potatoes onions and ground beef patties. It was awesome I cant lie, I do them about once a year or so for nostalgia and because they are just plain good. We always did them on the campfire coals.
    Done this as well. Really not bad at all. Also I'll usually just put my pepper and onion julienne in a foil packet to bury in the coals when grilling brats at the beach.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

Foie gras, black truffles, bacon and leftover mashed potatoes with Ketchup and frenches mustard. Maybe some chopped onions and saurkraut.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig