Quantcast
What type of Japanese Fish Knife is this? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of Japanese Fish Knife is this?

It's a masahiro filet double sided. Look for it on knife merchant website

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    it could also be this:

except this one has a western handle and stainless. this one comes double bevel and also a version that's single bevel. masahiro 240mm tuna knife.

Interesting, knifemerchant offers that knife in both single and double bevel versions. Looks a lot like a western butcher knife so I would expect double bevel to be the standard.

i'd be pretty happy with a katsuo bocho and one of those masahiro's. =D

ive been to the knife merchant store before. its near my house. and its pretty lousy. speaking for japanese knives. the only brands they carry are kikuichi and masahiro so i dont think very highly of it. although most sushi places i have been to here in san diego all the chefs use masahiro knives. its pretty disappointing. ill goto the shop and check out these knives and give some feedback as to whether they are single bevel or if they are all double.

my roommate bought a left handle masahiro gyuto 210mm from knife merchant. i found this pretty rediculous. my current chef has a masahiro 210mm gyuto and it is completely 50/50, but my roommates came with a strong 80/20 left handed bevel and it cost 30% more money.

i think this knife merchant website is crap. i would strongly suggest you dont use it. and it is a local company to me.

im sorry fellow forum members if i have broken any rules by saying that i believe this knife dealer is poor, but he honestly is ripping people off that dont know any better. i dont see this guy as being a fellow member of our community and i sure as heck dont feel like he is welcome among my friends(being KKF members)

this website does not benefit any of us here and should not be used by anyone. if anyone wants a knife from the knife merchant i will buy it locally for a discount and ship it to you priority mail. i dont see why he should make money of people that dont know any better
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

i'll be sure to remember that, when i buy one of those masahiros. =D

They're pretty useful for larger fish, not enough different from a bullnose that I need to buy one. A coworker has one, and it cuts many textures cleanly and easily.

I've been a Knife Merchant customer for years. They may not have a wide selection of "in" Japanese knives but they are my go to source for Victorinox, F. Dick, Wusthof and a number of other brands. They are also the only place I could find this tuna knife on the web.

I have bought knives from Dave (Knife merchant), like in this case he sometimes has things that you can't find other places. He will (and has) price match other sights and stores. He is also helpful in finding other knives he does not carry. Bulk discounts is another thing he does, not that that's useful to many but just saying.

I've been a Knife Merchant customer for years. They may not have a wide selection of "in" Japanese knives but they are my go to source for Victorinox, F. Dick, Wusthof and a number of other brands. They are also the only place I could find this tuna knife on the web.
    there's another and we don't wanna mention their name =D

Really appreciate the insightful comments—much awed by how the Japanese have so many specialized knives for food preparation. When I started cooking, it was a chefs knife, a parer, and a Chinese cleaver that kept me going.

Regarding the comment on Knife Merchant "ripping people off," I must say that as a consumer I do value all the advice I've garnered from KKF, but I also base my purchases on personal experiences and research. I've [fortunately] not had a really negative experience buying knives, most of my purchases have been in person here in NYC—from Korin, Broadway Panhandler, JB Prince, etc. I tend to return to dealers that give me a certain amount of knowledgeable and attentive service.

With knife e-tailers, I've only had purchasing experiences with JKI, JCK, and Knife Merchant—which have all been good. I was impressed with how Dave at KM did pick up the phone when I called and chatted with my about some of the knives I was considering.

A Wisconsin based e-tailer that is often referenced on this site certainly has its fans and detractors. I've not ever purchased anything from the fellow—but did like how he responded to several email inquiries I had on products. I must admit that being relatively new to KKF, I am quite oblivious to the histories have created these knife world schisms. Call it naive, but I do visit the BBB site—which does give KM and the Wisconsin fellow a good rating.

Back to the original subject of the thread. The fish fillet knife looks like it would be a good substitute for a Scimitar.

+ Reply to Thread