Quantcast
What type of Japanese Fish Knife is this? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What type of Japanese Fish Knife is this?

I must have slammed the knife merchant a little too hard. My boss went in there and they knew my name and where I worked lol. Sorry to the knife merchant if I've hurt your feelings but I still think the masahiros are strangely "left handed" gyutos that sell for overpriced rates. When we all know a little time on a stone and any 50/50 knife can have an asymmetrical edge for a lefty.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    I must have slammed the knife merchant a little too hard. My boss went in there and they knew my name and where I worked lol. Sorry to the knife merchant if I've hurt your feelings but I still think the masahiros are strangely "left handed" gyutos that sell for overpriced rates. When we all know a little time on a stone and any 50/50 knife can have an asymmetrical edge for a lefty.
    You obviously missed the post by the owner of Knife Merchant that was subsequently deleted.

A quick look at the website shows that you are full of exaggerations and hyperbole, and ill-informed and petulant. That store has more than two brands of knives. I specifically compared their prices of Glestain knives with other vendors - their prices are competitive with other vendors.

As for your roommate's knife, did he/she specifically order a left handed knife? If so, there is a standard markup by most vendors, including Korin and JCK, for such knives.

Lastly, changing a knife from 50/50 to a left-handed beveled knife can take a significant amount of effort and trial and error. A little time on a stone? Please tell us how long it's taken you to do such a thing, what stones you used and what kind of knife you did this to. If you have never done such a thing, then you are unqualified to make any kind of statement as to the time and ease to do such a thing.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Knifemerchant is a great source of many knives, their prices are fair and their service is outstanding. As far as "exaggerations and hyperbole, and ill-informed and petulant" I always have a feeling most people on the web have never had actually sell something to a customer. If you have had to close a few sales for living you will know you don't sit back hoping the customer will just naturally know what great product you are offering him, you have to tell him!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    I have bought knives from Dave (Knife merchant), like in this case he sometimes has things that you can't find other places. He will (and has) price match other sights and stores. He is also helpful in finding other knives he does not carry. Bulk discounts is another thing he does, not that that's useful to many but just saying.
    I've bought quite a few things from knife merchant, but never a knife, strangely. Thy typically have good prices on Paderno carbon steel pans.

I tried to retract my statements about the knife merchant as I feel now they were unfair. I am very opinionated and don't think what I said should have been pushed on the other users of this forum. They do sell their products with good faith and with good customer service. I feel as if I was blinded by the light and their selection was only to my disliking. I would like to publicly apologize to the knife merchant although I'm sure at this point it will not matter.

I had an opinion of your small inventory of Japanese knives as a bad one and maybe some people think that you have great things to offer. I just do not. I think there is a bunch of other knife dealers on this site and off that have a far greater inventory of knives and that was the point of my original post. I did not mean to slam you or put you down in your general customer service aspect, which is pretty good.

Like I said, I asked the mods to take down my post, I would like to take it back buy I can't. My words were more hurtful than they should have been.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

+ Reply to Thread