need average pricing on custom knives!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
hey guys im looking at going down the road of getting on a waiting list for a custom knife i want something in w2 steel and love the look of sanmai i want it to be around 240-250mm and wa handle. i also love the look of rader handles. can anyone name some makers that would do a good job with this combination and what prices (average) i would be looking at and also which makers are more expensive.

Instead of guestimating, why don't you compile what you want into an email and shoot it off to bladesmith's whose work you enjoy. I am sure they would be happy to give you a quote as well as a time table.

I have commissioned and received one custom knife. I also have four to five more that I have commissioned and am currently waiting for them to be made.

It's a tough question as there are a lot of variables that go onto price. You could get a mono-steel with regular wood and it is significantly less than a damascus steel with some musk ox horn for instance. With that said, the more established makers are in general more expensive. ABS mastersmiths also tend to be more expensive.

I would recommend contacting the makers who appeal to you directly.

Sorry to dodge the question.

k.

I'd say ~400 and up depending on size, materials and maker.

I know DT's san mai in that length is ~$750 and Burke's is quite a bit more. And I don't think Rader's is anywhere close to $400 either.

Between 600 and 30000.

Good luck, best thing to do is not approach it from a dollar perspective. Cheapest custom is not always the best. Instead find a maker whose style you like and go from there.

I know DT's san mai in that length is ~$750 and Burke's is quite a bit more. And I don't think Rader's is anywhere close to $400 either.

Definitely the 3 most expensive custom makers around these parts...and there are many good makers who charge less than these guys. That said, those are 3 of the best.

I also would consider customs from Japan. Often the prices are better and the wait times are less.

Kalaeb makes a very good point, you should figure out what you like and discuss with the individual makers. If what you want costs more then save some cash and buy what you desire.

Another important factor is the time you are willing to wait--the 3 makers above likely have the longest list as well as the highest prices, though low prices do not necessarily guarantee shorter times.

Cheers and make sure and post whatever you buy--months (or more) from now.

was just wondering because i cant find any information on custom knife pricing thats why i gave a few examples of what i wanted. i will indeed contact makers and get exactly what i want i just wanted to know a bit more information before i start saving and the 20 doller a week thing sounds perfect

Mike Davis works with w2 and does great work. I think that estimate is a bit high unless you plan to get expensive handle materials or it takes a unusual ammount of labor to complete. Id say 500 and up depending on materials

Doesn't Catcheside use W2? I am sure he can make u whatever u like.

FWIW, the pricing I was tossing out was for W2 core in san mai. If just W2, it should be a bit less. But original post said san mai, so I stuck with that.

I would suggest watching places that sell handmade kitchen knives to get a feel for the pricing.
An example would be Epicurean Edge.
Plus you might just see one you really like for immediate gratification.

Back