Universal Saya For a 240mm Sakai Yusuke Extra Thick & Flat Profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V1P

Reaction score
Hi, as the title, has anyone with the same knife successfully purchased a universal saya that fits nicely?

Thanks in advance!

In my experience, universal sayas are a waste of money. Unless you are very lucky, the knife either rattles around in the saya or doesn't fit at all. I've had two universal sayas that fit the knives they were bought for - a Suisin sujihiki and an Akifusa gyuto. Sayas need to be custom fit to the knife they are intended for, so your best choice is to have a custom one made. Tom McLean (Lefty) of Sharp and Shiny Shop is making affordable custom sayas. Shoot him a PM or an eMail ([email protected]).

Rick

Cardboard and tape are your friend. I like the kind of cardboard that blotter calendars are backed with.

I don't get the obsession with sayas, let alone paying $100 for one. I like the oem black plastic guards with felt lining. Easy on/off and protects with no fit issues. Guess it's more for vanity...

I don't get the obsession with sayas, let alone paying $100 for one. I like the oem black plastic guards with felt lining. Easy on/off and protects with no fit issues. Guess it's more for vanity...
lately ive been thinking about taking one these guards with the felt and "converting" it to a saya. it wouldnt be very hard. unless a knife comes with a saya, i dont really have any interest in buying one either. thats $$$ that could be used towards my next knife purchase!

For my thin knives with very 'standard' Japanese profiles, I've had very good luck with JCK's universal sayas.

Yes, it is for safe transport and also vanity. Problem with making a custom one is that I am located in Australia and sending the knife to the custom maker is not efficient for me.

I am just hoping that one of the owners of similar knife has bought a universal one and can direct me as to which one.

Thanks.

Have you asked Keiichi at all? He has provided me some well fitting generic sayas in the past.

Keiichi is out at the moment.

I am located in Australia so sending the knife to a custom maker is not efficient for me, unless he has the template.

Any more advice?

IIRC, Keiichi provided me with Saya from Aoki hamono. So if you would like to risk small amount of money try chuboknives: http://www.chuboknives.com/products/magnolia-gyutou-saya-240mm-9-4

Otherwise, try giving Leigh a call. He seems to offer small fitting adjusting if you send a knife in: http://www.chefsarmoury.com/knife-s...lia-saya-sheath-for-240mm-gyuto/prod_804.html

A small trick that I have used if saya is just slightly bigger is to glue a small strip of balsa wood to the saya such that it will make a knife and saya friction fit.

Latest posts

Back