Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carter's Summergrab, what did you get?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good cutter. Maybe I am now just used to bigger knives.
    Chewie's the man.

I have recently borrowed a small carter KU just like this shape and feel like it is just too small for my tastes. Its a beast of a knife considering the edge it takes but its just a tiny little knife for me. I mean my 210 petty is considerably bigger than it. I dont feel like I can use it for enough tasks in the kitchen to justify its price tag. I really enjoy the carter but if it was bigger I think my wallet would have some serious problems.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

The general populace seems to hover towards these small blades. On another forum, which deals with knife collectors of all sorts, those who are starting to get into kitchen knives generally start making 5" chef knives. I honestly have no idea how one could tolerate a a general purpose chef's knife with such a short cutting edge. Carter clearly likes his smaller knives, they must sell like hot cakes.

If you cannot find a large enough gyuto/funyaki from Carter, I highly recommend his 6 sun or greater nakiri's. I have one it truly is a peak performer and the fact that is a nakiri allows certainly my mind to justifiy the smaller size.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

There are a couple of AS parers in the seconds/clearance page of Murrays a site at the moment
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    I have recently borrowed a small carter KU just like this shape and feel like it is just too small for my tastes. Its a beast of a knife considering the edge it takes but its just a tiny little knife for me. I mean my 210 petty is considerably bigger than it. I dont feel like I can use it for enough tasks in the kitchen to justify its price tag. I really enjoy the carter but if it was bigger I think my wallet would have some serious problems.
    One of my sous chefs loves his 180ish Carter. I grabbed it off the forum for him, and he's a badass with it. Does all day prep with it, veg, fish, meat. All comes down to personal preference and skill I suppose.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I love a 180 Carter at home on a 10x14 board. At work on a larger board it feels toyish. On one large onion it is great. On 10 it seems over matched. Really like the knife, the flattish profile stretches the usefulness of the smaller board.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

I agree. Anything under 210 feels awkward as all get out(to me anyways). But the kid works wonders with it. I snagged it off the forum for him due to the fact that he was alternating between a miyabi utility, and 6" global. And he had a bag full of 210-240. Just prefers the little guys. He's not a noob either. Raised in kitchens.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky