Carter's Summergrab, what did you get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Based on the Carter Prices thread, seems like a lot of KKF members picked up a Carter with the recent Summergrab discount. We all shop similar sites, so I thought it'll be interesting to see what everyone got, as well as the collective buying power of KKF members.

Here's what I picked up:

120628_carter_funayuki_192_1.jpg

http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...eries/63sun-high-grade-funayuki-custom-handle

STYLE: High Grade Series Funayuki, Custom Handle
STEEL: White Steel, laminated w/ stainless steel
HANDLE: Ironwood with Ironwood Spacer; Ironwood Ferrule with White Liner
WEIGHT: 153 grams
BLADE LENGTH: 6.3sun, 192mm (7½")
BLADE WIDTH: 50mm
BLADE THICKNESS: *1.3mm

That's a nice knife, Don, I have one just like it - only that the handle has more bling ;) Did not pick up any knives this time, knife budget is frozen for the foreseeable future....

Stefan

I hesitated on the knife I wanted; posted about the summergrab here, than when I returned it was gone...all is well, as I picked up new Del gyuto.

I picked up two but about two weeks ago when the 25% sale was going on. There were a lot more longer ones to select from. I got a 222mm high grade gyuto and a 197mm free style. Both arrived yesterday and man do they cut well.

That's nice looking, Don.

I like the handle, and that's seldom true for me when perusing Carter's offerings.

That's another nice one. Olive wood always reminds me of lagioule cutlery.

I posted the link in the other thread, so here I will post a pic

188x154.jpg

Lol Nochop: I was wondering how fast they went after you posted that. Should have bought first then posted. Altho That Del is quite a looker too.

188x154.jpg

Lol Nochop: I was wondering how fast they went after you posted that. Should have bought first then posted. Altho That Del is quite a looker too.

that looks like canvas micarta...? nice grab.

Picked up a 155mm with riveted handle and this guy @ 7.2 sun, we'll see if the size works for me. Going straight for re-handling. Unfortunately...

Really not sure what to think of this handle ...

image.jpg

I'm kind of digging that tan micarta. Looks similar to worn leather in the pics. I've never seen it before

Picked up a 155mm with riveted handle and this guy @ 7.2 sun, we'll see if the size works for me. Going straight for re-handling. Unfortunately...

Really not sure what to think of this handle ...

Um, that handle reminds me of a quilt.

But the knife looks great. :)

188x154.jpg

Got it in the mail on fri. Took it to work today, started using it and kept thinking something was odd. Then it hit me:scared4:, I bought a santoku. :nutskick:

Its a great cutter, very nice knife. But It's small. Oh well.

I wouldn't classify that as a santoku. The nose doesn't come down fast enough. That is pretty common Carter gyuto/funy profile.

Its a great cutter, very nice knife. But It's small. Oh well.

How is that different than a small gyuto? o_O I agree that the profile looks like a Santoku. Although the most disliked profiles here seem to be the Santokus that look like a killer-whale.

It's really the combination of the flat profile (typical of a Santoku, but preferred in a gyuto by many of the members here) and the profile on the spine side. The cutting edge profile is perfectly acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good cutter. Maybe I am now just used to bigger knives.

I have recently borrowed a small carter KU just like this shape and feel like it is just too small for my tastes. Its a beast of a knife considering the edge it takes but its just a tiny little knife for me. I mean my 210 petty is considerably bigger than it. I dont feel like I can use it for enough tasks in the kitchen to justify its price tag. I really enjoy the carter but if it was bigger I think my wallet would have some serious problems.

The general populace seems to hover towards these small blades. On another forum, which deals with knife collectors of all sorts, those who are starting to get into kitchen knives generally start making 5" chef knives. I honestly have no idea how one could tolerate a a general purpose chef's knife with such a short cutting edge. Carter clearly likes his smaller knives, they must sell like hot cakes.

If you cannot find a large enough gyuto/funyaki from Carter, I highly recommend his 6 sun or greater nakiri's. I have one it truly is a peak performer and the fact that is a nakiri allows certainly my mind to justifiy the smaller size.

I have recently borrowed a small carter KU just like this shape and feel like it is just too small for my tastes. Its a beast of a knife considering the edge it takes but its just a tiny little knife for me. I mean my 210 petty is considerably bigger than it. I dont feel like I can use it for enough tasks in the kitchen to justify its price tag. I really enjoy the carter but if it was bigger I think my wallet would have some serious problems.

One of my sous chefs loves his 180ish Carter. I grabbed it off the forum for him, and he's a badass with it. Does all day prep with it, veg, fish, meat. All comes down to personal preference and skill I suppose.

I love a 180 Carter at home on a 10x14 board. At work on a larger board it feels toyish. On one large onion it is great. On 10 it seems over matched. Really like the knife, the flattish profile stretches the usefulness of the smaller board.

I agree. Anything under 210 feels awkward as all get out(to me anyways). But the kid works wonders with it. I snagged it off the forum for him due to the fact that he was alternating between a miyabi utility, and 6" global. And he had a bag full of 210-240. Just prefers the little guys. He's not a noob either. Raised in kitchens.

Back