mini passaround: tanaka ginsanko 270 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has been thinned and rehandled.
5 spots, 2 already reserved.
please only respond if you are seriously considering getting one as a workhorse in pro environment. The 3 remaining slots will be hand picked. Sorry guys, USA only.

Wouldn't mind trying out. Was thinking about this one for my next acquisition.

i would be interested as well, have always wanted to try a tanaka

and it's started! going first to k-fed.

please note that this has had a lot of work done, ie definitely not stock form. spine and choil were rounded and considerable amount of thinning all done by member knyfeknerd. i've put a lot of use with this thing over the course, last sharpening was jns 1000 and synthetic aoto a week ago. feel free to sharpen, but please don't alter the geometry as i love how it cuts as is. fyi, responds quite well to ceramic rod and strops.

would appreciate feedback in this thread from each leg of the pass.

Got the knife today. I really dig the look of it. It is very close to my DT ITK in profile. The grind reminds me of the Zakuri that I had, which is a good thing, as I pretty much knew how it would cut before ever doing so. I did slice up a room temp potato, very easy, no sticking, not surprising given the grind. I do really like knives ground like this as they feel like they separate food rather than glide through it and it's nice to have that in stainless as the only gripe I had with my zakuri was the reactivity of the cladding. Very cool knife so far.

Here she is shown with my dt itk for comparo'
j4NRfvv.jpg

and resting on a pile of parsley
5o3j8n4.jpg

Yeah. I will be I guess. Ive tried to use them side by side as the itk is the closest knife I've got as far as the profile and balance goes. I really dig the tanaka a lot. Bit I can tell how much work must have gone in to it. Everything is nicely rounded. It really is a great workhorse of a knife.

Yeah. I will be I guess. Ive tried to use them side by side as the itk is the closest knife I've got as far as the profile and balance goes. I really dig the tanaka a lot. Bit I can tell how much work must have gone in to it. Everything is nicely rounded. It really is a great workhorse of a knife.

kfed, can you do a dt, tanaka side by side choil shot?

hehe, they're all out of stock now. i just hope who ever bought them up don't freak out when they see that OOTB it has crap fit & finish and needs lots of stone work. the stock handle is not bad though if you like d shape which i dont, except the one on shig.

I emailed the vendor, Takeshi?, at metal master and he said it was only a 5 dollar up charge to change it to an octagonal handle. Not bad at all. And.... ask and ye' shall receive...

First up is my early run DT ITK.
5ZRD0hD.jpg

And the tanaka.
uXM26kA.jpg

ahh, he did a hell of a job! uses broken pieces of stone as finger stones to do it too, talk about painstaking work. nice rounding of spine and choil as well. handle was made by someone else but did the install. i was there when he had to bore out the hole with a hand file, i felt bad while sipping on beer as he's pushing and pulling at it, lol.

Put a fresh edge on her and going to ship it out tomorrow. Ill post my thoughts tomorrow but I will say the edge retention is pretty damn good. On par with my tkc's and almost as good as my suisin IH's. pretty spectacular given the low price point.

Got her in the mail today. Should make it to LOL in a couple days.

Back