Quantcast
Fixing sharpening 'mistakes'.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing sharpening 'mistakes'.

Fixing sharpening 'mistakes'.

Sharpening mistakes. We've all made them. A slip that causes an unsightly scratch on the side of a new knife or worse...one of your friend's knives. I've had my share of them. More often than not if things are really bad I end up refinishing the entire blade. I would be interested in hearing from some of the expert sharpeners here on what techniques they use to repair small scratches on blades or if anyone has any particular method of protecting the blade before a sharpening session. I'm sure Dave must have been a little intimidated when he started sharpening professionally and began receiving knives worth a huge chunk of change. Anyone have any tips to share?

go cut 20 pounds of leeks followed by 20 pounds of radishes, and then worry about knife scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    go cut 20 pounds of leeks followed by 20 pounds of radishes, and then worry about knife scratches.
    This guy
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Normally there's not much that can be done except for refinishing, or blending in a small patch when the original finish is coarse. Or if it's a carbon knife, rub it with a cloth dampened with vinegar :P

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    Sharpening mistakes. We've all made them. A slip that causes an unsightly scratch on the side of a new knife or worse...one of your friend's knives. I've had my share of them. More often than not if things are really bad I end up refinishing the entire blade. I would be interested in hearing from some of the expert sharpeners here on what techniques they use to repair small scratches on blades or if anyone has any particular method of protecting the blade before a sharpening session. I'm sure Dave must have been a little intimidated when he started sharpening professionally and began receiving knives worth a huge chunk of change. Anyone have any tips to share?

You're correct about me here, I was worried and had to come up with a way to deal with the problem. For a long time I used to tape the entire blade except for the edge and this does help but you have to be careful because the tape can leave marks and lead to rusting which is a whole other problem to deal with.

not that this is realistic for everyone, but i found the best way to learn how to fix knives was to make them... thats why every year when i come to Japan to train, i go through the whole process of making knives many times over... and i continue to practice (minus the forging part) in LA when i am back there... when you know how they are made, they are much easier to fix.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Sorry about the misplaced thread Dave. Still getting the lay of the land over here.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Yeah those are killer but I think the worst has to be rhubarb.

I don't like my blades to look 'beat-up' but they are tools so also don't mind them showing some battle scars.

one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    not that this is realistic for everyone, but i found the best way to learn how to fix knives was to make them... thats why every year when i come to Japan to train, i go through the whole process of making knives many times over... and i continue to practice (minus the forging part) in LA when i am back there... when you know how they are made, they are much easier to fix.
    The above statement is very true as well. Granted I've only completed one knife, since then I have been much more adventurous with my other knives in terms of refinishing and sharpening in general. In fact, I just recently thinned, refinished and sharpened my Fujiwara FKH and now it's sharper than it ever has been. In fact, I have finally mastered hand sharpening a seamless bevel from choil to the tip, where before I would have issues around the curve of the tip.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater