Reactivity: 52100 vs Hitachi White #2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Came across a post where person finds 52100 (ZK) more reactive than a knife in White steel #2 (I presume that it was a monosteel knife like Masamoto KS).

That's interesting, as on paper, White steels have no chromium at all, while 52100 has 1.5%, not a lot, but 3 to 5 times as much as Hitachi Blue steels. I find that if I leave a knife slightly wet overnight, it will discolor, but won't rust. I mostly see rust when I grind, while the scratches are deep, or sometimes when handle opening allows water, so there is a regularly exposure to water on the tang or right around tang opening.

Not sure how to interpret this. Suggestions?

Polish might have a hand in this, but I haven't seen high polished white steels J. knives with exceptions of honyaki knives.

They really haven't given much context for their findings, but as you said it could be finish, a clear coating (that varnish that's on some new carbon knives), or patina (let alone other variables they didn't control such as time, temperature, food being cut etc.).
For instance, the CCK 1303 is known to be highly reactive, but recently I left mine with water on it for a couple of hours, and there was no discoloration or rust at all. I think that's to do with a natural patina which has formed.

Perhaps the lacquer coating on the KS had not been removed?

I happen to have both a ZK and a KS, and my experience is exactly opposite.

Just my two cents.

Rick

Yep, I find the White # 2 to be way more reactive than my 52100 knives.

Cool, thanks for chiming in. I didn't think about coating. Forgot that some makers did that.

M

ZKramer and your 52100 petty that I've used are some of the least reactive carbon knives I've used.

Back