Quantcast
Issue with grind on new Konosuke White #2 suji - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Issue with grind on new Konosuke White #2 suji

For sure the maker/manufacturer, the distributor (Konesuke), and then the vendor should have caught this along it's path to the consumer. If you handle knives all of the time and look at them critically this type of thing stands out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    For those who say that they'd keep it and fix it I'm going to say that this is taking a chance because what if the issue is an overgrind from the side of the knife down into the edge? If that's the case then there's no fixing it through sharpening and it's also possible that sharpening can make the problem appear worse. To me there's to much at risk here for the consumer to take a chance.
    lots of Japanese knives have holes in the edge in front of the heel, especially ones that are sharpened on a wheel. rarely have i seen one that was caused by what you're describing, though it is, for sure, something i've seen, and it's fairly obvious when it is. 99/100 what is pictured is fixed the first time the knife is sharpened. since every knife i own is going to be thinned repeatedly over its life, and very often immediately, i'm not even sure i'm all that worried about over grinds on the side, unless they are really atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    How does an experienced dealer not see this before shipping?

I say to return it and make them pay for the shipping. If you try to fix this and the repair doesn't work out then you're screwed.
    A dealer sometimes is not well equipped to see these things, but maker is. I think the question should be asked why a maker would send out a knife that clearly needs to be re-profiled. I can't tell the extent of this hollow, it might be minor or major, depending if there is a dip in the side of the blade above the edge or just a minute over-grind on the edge.

M

PS: I see dips in the edge all the time, even from well respected US and Japanese makers. Most are too minor to really matter, unless on the heel, as then you get an extended rocking.

Sharpening would take care of it if the dip is at the edge and you are careful to remove metal along the edge except at that spot (if overgrind is on the side of the blade, then the dip might remain even after re-profiling. You would need to remove much more metal from the edge and heavily thin or regrind, to get rid of it), but best would be to reprofile on DMT plate or equivalent, then thin, then sharpen.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    lots of Japanese knives have holes in the edge in front of the heel, especially ones that are sharpened on a wheel. rarely have i seen one that was caused by what you're describing, though it is, for sure, something i've seen, and it's fairly obvious when it is. 99/100 what is pictured is fixed the first time the knife is sharpened. since every knife i own is going to be thinned repeatedly over its life, and very often immediately, i'm not even sure i'm all that worried about over grinds on the side, unless they are really atrocious.

If I could ask, and this wasn't the issue Dave is talking about, just sharpening regularly would flatten this section of the blade out? I've had a couple of knives that have had this issue and it seems no matter how I try to fix the rise, it persists.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    what i meant is that for this kind of money, you can definitely get similar knives from Sakai with better fit & finish.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Slypig5000 View Post
    If I could ask, and this wasn't the issue Dave is talking about, just sharpening regularly would flatten this section of the blade out? I've had a couple of knives that have had this issue and it seems no matter how I try to fix the rise, it persists.

If it's just a case of the heel being under-ground at the edge, then just being careful sharpening will fix it. Sounds like you might have more of an issue than that, though. Try feeling for dips above the hole with your fingers, or use a straight edge to test.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    what i meant is that for this kind of money, you can definitely get similar knives from Sakai with better fit & finish.
    What would you recommend? TBH I don't read every thread here but this is the first time I've seen so many negative konosuke comments. There was so much kono love a while ago. when did that change?

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    What would you recommend? TBH I don't read every thread here but this is the first time I've seen so many negative konosuke comments. There was so much kono love a while ago. when did that change?
    My guess is that the sentiments/expectations tend to follow the pricing structure.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    My guess is that the sentiments/expectations tend to follow the pricing structure.
    It is pretty sad if you think about it as soon as someone finds a company they like IE Konosuke the quality goes down? Happened with Moritaka right?