Quantcast
Issue with grind on new Konosuke White #2 suji - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Issue with grind on new Konosuke White #2 suji

i can only comment on the knives that I have used past and present, that being said...of over a dozen different konosukes i have either used or owned, none of them have had as nice fit and finish as the 2 sakai yusukes and 2 gesshin gingas i also used/owned. tilman and suisin inox honyaki seems to be maybe on another level though....

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    What would you recommend? TBH I don't read every thread here but this is the first time I've seen so many negative konosuke comments. There was so much kono love a while ago. when did that change?
    I think their increased popularity has seen a significant drop in their fit and finish and a big rise in price. So I can see their popularity declining because of that. I know I've said it before (a few times) but the 1 Kono I have had the worst F+F I have ever seen in my life and that was before the price hike. I got it lightly used here for a nice price but if I had got it new I'd have sent it back

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I think their increased popularity has seen a significant drop in their fit and finish and a big rise in price. So I can see their popularity declining because of that. I know I've said it before (a few times) but the 1 Kono I have had the worst F+F I have ever seen in my life and that was before the price hike. I got it lightly used here for a nice price but if I had got it new I'd have sent it back
    +1

I was in the market for a laser last year and never considered a Konosuke because of the fit and finish issues I had read about here and heard about from people who either own, owned or regularly sharpen them. In addition, they're no longer inexpensive, and for the price, I would rather purchase a knife that I know for certain has good fit and finish. (I also do not purchase from the site that's the main seller of the knives because of previous customer service and product quality issues.)

I ended up purchasing a Gesshin Ginga White #2 240 wa gyuto that I love. The fit and finish is great. (It was a little more than the Konosuke with saya because of California tax. Assuming Jon does not charge tax for out-of-state purchasers, the Ginga with saya is less than the Konosuke with saya.) I've bought a number of items and knives from Jon and I know that he checks every knife before it goes to a customer.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I feel bad now. I have a kono HD with ebony handle I got a couple years back and its nicest knife I have, or have even used or seen in a work enviro.

kono HD with ebony handles are the way to go! i own(ed)2! theyre very nice, i should clarify my earlier statement, the ho wood handle konos are pretty rough for the price, especially nowadays...

Konosuki's both HD & carbon are good knives,they just went up in price so much there are other options of some really quality blades at or even below the Kono's. pricewise.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I feel bad now. I have a kono HD with ebony handle I got a couple years back and its nicest knife I have, or have even used or seen in a work enviro.
    I had a few of the old Kono's and loved them, great fit and finish. It would appear as if they are slipping a bit in the qc....being popular can have drawbacks if not managed.

I heard that, as far back as a couple of years ago, you couldn't even buy a Kono HD over the counter from their store in Japan since every single one has already been spoken for by American bulk customers.

Good to see you back out here, Seb. Another Ozzie member is back aboard.