Issue with grind on new Konosuke White #2 suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoNole

Reaction score
I just got a 300mm Kono suji and there is an issue with the 3-4cm closest to the heel. With the heel resting on a level surface, there is a 1.5-2cm area that does not make contact with the board before the contact is reestablished about 3cm from the heel. It makes for a very awkward feel when making a rocking motion.

My question is: will this work itself out with a little time on the stones or do I need to exchange the knife?

Sorry for lack of pics, I'm getting crappy reception right now and it would take forever to upload.

20130701_180604_zps8463e9f4.jpg

Is there a grind issue in that area as well, i.e., an overgrind?

If it is only the edge, or lack there of, it would take you just a few minutes on the right stone.

But if what Michael suspects is true, then you'd have got a yuzu.

yep, if you try to just lower the heel of the knife you still have a problem with the center being to high, thus you still will have the issue. I would send that pic with the knife back, see what they say.

Think a Suji more of a slicer than rock cutting.If you don't like it give a call & see if they accept that as a return.If you put it to the stones cannot return.

A little overgrind is an easy fix when thinning esp. white steel.As a slicer,fruits,veg.,& meats a tiny rise at the heal is not critical to slicing motion.

How does an experienced dealer not see this before shipping?

I say to return it and make them pay for the shipping. If you try to fix this and the repair doesn't work out then you're screwed.

Thanks for the advice. I will be exchanging it.

is that from the unmentionable site? i don't see why they keep defending the fit and finish of konosuke knives when i keep bringing up issues like these to them.

on marks forum, ive read repeatedly that konosuke fit and finish is on par with suisin inox honyaki. yeah right! and i love konosuke HDs but give me a break.

they should just accept that there are issues, admit that there are times they neglect on their inspection for quality (on mark's side and konosuke's side) and just take it back then have it replaced. then make steps towards not letting it happen again. knives with prices like these should not have fit and finish issues. there is no excuse.

May be we think it is an issue, but the seller/maker don't :)

It is pretty ridiculous, considering it's a $323.00 knife

it would be ridiculous even at half that price...

Definitely not a difficult thing to fix. I would not send it back, myself.

SEND IT BACK!
I am sure you can fix it but do you think you have to fix a $323 brand new knife with "great f&f" ?
If you lived over this side of the world , where you have to worry about shipment costs a lot maybe not, but when you are in US : I would send it back
We are not talking about $50 yamawaku project..

I had the same issue with my Konosuke #6. Only took me a few minutes to fix and there's no sign of an over grind. Having said that, I don't think I'd buy another Konosuke; it feels nice and the profile's good, but I get some mad sticktion on certain parts and although the F+F issue when ootb wasn't a big deal I'd still expect more from a $370 knife from a company that's held in high regard. Frankly, there's better cleavers for the price.

Definitely not a difficult thing to fix. I would not send it back, myself.
Either would I, only because of our location.
But if you bought it from, say, house of knives I'd take it back.
How are they going to know about issues if no one points them out?

Personally, I find that sharpening/fixing a knife endears it to me. No matter how much a knife costs, if you use it, it will require a lot of sharpening, thinning and polishing over it's life. Doing a little of this work when it's right off the self doesn't make a difference to me, and the hassle of shipping back and forth does not seem worth it.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you can't handle an imperfection like this, then your not prepared to look after the knife though it's life.

But the vendor should definitely be made aware of this fault. Perhaps some store credit wouldn't go amiss either :)

The craftsmen should not let a blade like this leave the shop, period.

what i meant is that for this kind of money, you can definitely get similar knives from Sakai with better fit & finish.

like the yusuke's and they'd be actually cheaper. =D

The craftsmen should not let a blade like this leave the shop, period.

back when i had a business and i tried to keep the quality of workmanship up, my employees and partners would hate me for it, but i just did what i had to do coz noone else would.

For those who say that they'd keep it and fix it I'm going to say that this is taking a chance because what if the issue is an overgrind from the side of the knife down into the edge? If that's the case then there's no fixing it through sharpening and it's also possible that sharpening can make the problem appear worse. To me there's to much at risk here for the consumer to take a chance.

Back