Quantcast
Rebuy the same knife? Mizuno DX Gyuto or something new?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuy the same knife? Mizuno DX Gyuto or something new?

Rebuy the same knife? Mizuno DX Gyuto or something new?

I bought my 240 Mizuno Gyuto to work in with a small stable of others, it rose to the top everyday as my workhorse -i loved it so - re handled it after a year - thought we'd be together forever. But I have sharpened, n thinned it too much in four years - it is no longer the all arounder it once was - only 40mm at the heel now, closer to 210mm than 240 heel to tip, w/o heft it once had - it is a line knife now(albeit, best one in the world). Now I need new gyuto.

I am on the shelf for the next 6 weeks with a torn achilles - so there is no sense of urgency here - but when i return to work, it will be with a new knife in my hand.

So, if you were me, would you buy a brand new version of the Mizuno or would you get out there and try something new?

Other knives under consideration - Masamoto KS, KAto, Shigefusa or maybe I can swoop in and score a Marko. Open to any other suggestions too.

This is my main man. No longer the workhorse Gyuto.

P1010014 by mdoublestack, on Flickr

Kato
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Who made the handle? That yellow wood is awesome looking.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Stefan Keller. His D handles are ******* great.

If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely buy the same knife. There are two knives in my kit I'd buy again and again in a heartbeat. A harner utility I bought off the BST section of the old forum and my sugimoto 210 superlative yanagiba that's my "beater" line knife. Certain knives just click with you forever!

I'd then see if Stefan could make that handle once more, as it looks AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by edredlee View Post
    If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely buy the same knife. There are two knives in my kit I'd buy again and again in a heartbeat. A harner utility I bought off the BST section of the old forum and my sugimoto 210 superlative yanagiba that's my "beater" line knife. Certain knives just click with you forever!
    Dude!!! You just beat me on th pm with harner shun like petty years ago on the old forum. I kicked myself for that one! I wanted it so bad. I sent you a pm and tried to buy it off you! Hilarious. Um, so how about now... you want to sell it??

If you love the Mizuno then buy another Mizuno.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    If you love the Mizuno then buy another Mizuno.
    Agreed. If the Mizuno makes you that happy get another one. I am still trying to find that kind of knife for myself.

no watanabe? im getting one at the end of week. cant wait.